Re: New to the list with a question

  • mneumark@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 28, 2001
      --- In sca-jml@y..., Elaine Koogler <ekoogler@c...> wrote:
      > Pardon my presumption, Master Edward, but didn't they often quit
      their kimono,
      > etc.? I have read in several places that the Japanese were among
      the first to
      > quilt their clothing.
      >
      > Kiri

      Quilting...I have a book on Sashiko that mentions sashiko was used
      originally on firemen's clothing in a quilting like manner.
      SUPPOSEDLY that is period, but sashiko itself isn't period. So,
      thinking about this line of thought, then the Japanese probably
      didn't quilt.

      I'm hoping that someone can confirm if I am correct or not. I'm
      actually starting to research Japanese quilting, and would REALLY
      love help on this stuff.

      --Raku
    • mneumark@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 28, 2001
        --- In sca-jml@y..., Elaine Koogler <ekoogler@c...> wrote:
        > I guess I may have misspoken...I did mean padded...not quilted, as
        we think of it.
        > Although...again I have read in one of my books on costuming, that
        the Japanese were
        > among one of the first cultures to do the piecework/patchwork as is
        seen in modern
        > western quilt tops!

        You know, I was on Steffan's Florgium looking over quilt stuff, and I
        think that europe was first with "crazy quilts". It said in there
        that crazy quilts were period, but I've NEVER seen any books or
        anything else ever referrence quilting was period either. Of course,
        I only started to look at the stuff and not all that deeply (yet).

        I have a book called "Omiyage" (I think) which is patchwork like
        little bags. It's mentioned that in period, the peasant class used
        to make little bags (the size of marble bags) and give them as gifts
        to their shogun/royality. I'm not sure if this is the case or not
        (Edward?) but the book is SO cool and has little bags that are in the
        shape of flowers, birds, fish and all sorts of other sewing
        projects. I'm thinking of making some anyhow for gifts. What the
        heq, huh? If they were period, it would be a PLUS for sure.

        Sashiko, (yeah, I like sashiko) isn't period, but blackwork IS, and I
        guess they both use the same sort of stitches. It's very frustrating
        to me that sashiko isn't period...I was hoping to make a sashiko
        table setting with a traditional ceramic tea set for Caid's
        Pentathlon in two years, but it isn't period. WAH!!!!

        --Raku