Tanka - thank you Solveig

  • Jedillore
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2001
      I wanted to thank Solveig for pointing me to the tanka poetic form. I've
      done a bit of research and they're lovely.

      Here's my first try:

      Seattle

      Crisp fall air breathes life
      Mountains in hazy distance
      City gleams close in
      Between are the trees ever green
      I will miss my home

      I look forward to writing more.

      I found a site with tanka from the Hyakunin Ishhu (100 poems between the 7th
      and 13th centuries). Much of them are about lost loves. Quite sad stuff,
      but very beautiful. Here's the link if you are interested - the texts are
      parallel in kanji/kana, romanji, and english:

      http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/japanese/hyakunin/

      Domo Arigato.

      - Akime -

      (Yes, I think the name works)
    • Munson, Eric
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 28, 2001
        Very nice. My sleeve is moistened as I consider your suffering, Akime-dono.

        BTW - congrats on the name!

        - mokurai