[SCA-JML] Re: tv show or movie????

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 21, 1999
      Baron Edward!

      Greetings from Solveig! Sorry, but the A&S community now generally
      accepts post 1600 sources. A good example of this in dance is a
      book by Caesar Negri which appeared around 1603. Other examples
      can be found in cooking. The idea is that post-1600 documentation
      can be used to document pre-1601 stuff. You need to distinguish
      between when the stuff was extant and when it was written down.

      As for post 1600 Japanese clothing and hair styles. I am very
      much in agreement with you. Clothing changed significantly during
      the Edo period. There were significant clothing and hair fads
      and what naught. (I have a rather nice history of clothing in
      the Edo period and a matching history of hair styles in the
      Edo period.)

      In Japan, by 1650 you can easily have clothing and hair that
      was unseen before 1601.

      | techie.com |
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 21, 1999
        nostrand@... wrote:

        > Noble Cousins!
        >
        > There was a long standing dispute over whether SCA period should end
        > at 1600 or 1650. Quite a few members still contend that the cut off
        > should be 1650. The BoD ruled that the cut-off would be 1600. People
        > generally agree that documentaiton up to 1650 can be used.

        Regardless, the SCA cutoff is 1600.

        Period. (so to speak. <g>)

        The only "extra" allowed was a misguided Laurel ruling years ago to allow anything first
        documented between 1600 and 1650 under the supposition that if it's first public reference was
        then, it was POSSIBLE that it first appeared earlier, IN period.

        People started using this to claim things that were documentedly INVENTED in 1600-1650 (OOP) were
        allowable in the SCA under that rule.

        I do not and will not do post period. Nor can I or will I support it.

        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 22, 1999
          Barbara Nostrand wrote:

          > Baron Edward!
          >
          > Greetings from Solveig! Sorry, but the A&S community now generally
          > accepts post 1600 sources. A good example of this in dance is a
          > book by Caesar Negri which appeared around 1603. Other examples
          > can be found in cooking. The idea is that post-1600 documentation
          > can be used to document pre-1601 stuff. You need to distinguish
          > between when the stuff was extant and when it was written down.

          That's what I'm talking about. This is the only acceptable use of
          post-period material. The trouble is when people start wanting to do post
          period things (the Edo style kataginu, for example) even though it's only
          "a little" after 1600.