Seven Samurai

  • Erin Kelly
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2001
      I have a video version that I taped from PBS years and years ago, and I
      am almost certain that it is letterboxed, i.e. the film image is wider
      and shorter than the TV screen. But it still has the nasty yellow (or
      white?) subtitles over the image that you can hardly read sometimes.

      The DVD I put on my Amazon wish list claims to be a 1.33:1 ratio, which
      it calls "Full Screen (standard)". I wouldn't really classify this as
      a square, it's closer to what you're used to seeing in most movies,
      kind of like a standard sheet of paper. By comparison, CinemaScope
      (which apparently projected a 2.66:1 image, slightly wider than
      Tohoscope) gives you a picture about the shape of a dollar bill.

      This is why you should never watch Rebel Without a Cause on a TV.

      Here's the Amazon DVD ("Criterion Collection" seems to be the important
      part of the title)
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/dvd/0780020685/tech-info/107-2762135-8230141

      ERIN

      --------
      Message: 11
      Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 15:00:01 -0500
      From: "Jedillore" <jedillore@...>
      Subject: Shichinin no Samurai (was: Introduction: totally new to all of

      this)

      on 9/26/01 10:41 AM, Carl Grasso at sarken2@... wrote:

      > And what about Heaven and Earth? And a widescreen Seven Samurai!!
      I've seen it
      > on VHS, but for
      > some odd reason they didn't release it WS on DVD. Grrr.
      > -Seiryu

      Here's how I understand the situation with the Seven Samurai DVD.
      Many of Kurasowa's other films (High and Low, Yojimbo...) were filmed
      in "Tohoscope" which was a screen size ratio of 2.35:1 which is a
      rectangle. (It basically means for every 1 high it is 2.35 wide - so
      over twice as wide as it is high.) Seven Samurai and Inagaki's Samurai

      Trilogy were filmed in a ratio of 1.33:1 which is more of a square.
      (You're average TV has a ratio of 4:3 - also kind of square.)

      So you will never see a widescreen Seven Samurai because it wasn't
      filmed that way. (i.e. - not in tohoscope)

      However, you say you've seen a widescreen version on VHS which confuses
      me. Unless they stretched the picture, the math just doesn't add up.

      Okay. Well, now you've got me wondering.
      Emily.