Re: [SCA-JML] Translation

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2001
      Carl Grasso wrote:

      > Hello everyone.
      >
      > Is there anyone who might be able to help me translate something I've written (a haiku) into
      > Japanese. I have a feeling that it will lose the proper form, so I don't want to just go with a
      > jap-eng dictionary. I'd also likely want to attempt to write it in Kanji. A close friend of mine
      > recently lost a loved one and I composed this in honor of the deceased. We want to write the haiku
      > on a plaque and place it on the grave. So if anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it.
      > Send me an e-mail if you can (sarken@...).

      For the record, translating something like a haiku *into* Japanese to maintain haiku pattern is nigh
      on impossible, given the meters of the language and so forth. Translating haiku from J to E usually
      produces only a "translation for meaning" not a "translation of form" and going the other way would
      be no different...