I thought of a name, and am wondering

  • Jade Claw of the Kitsune
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 26, 2001
      if anybody wants to slam me because I don't know anything about
      Japanese names.

      "Jinjui Hajime"

      Anthony
    • Jedillore
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 26, 2001
        on 9/26/01 6:16 PM, Jade Claw of the Kitsune at ajt526@... wrote:

        > if anybody wants to slam me because I don't know anything about
        > Japanese names.
        >
        > "Jinjui Hajime"
        >
        > Anthony

        Lord knows I should be the last person responding to this as I can't make
        heads or tails out of period Japanese names, but I do have a recommendation
        for a good source. One of the members of this list, Effingham-dono has an
        excellent web site. You might want to check it out:

        http://www.geocities.com/sengokudaimyo/Miscellany/Miscellany.html

        In particular the section on names. The whole site is quite thorough and
        very informative.

        As for the name you have chosen; do you speak Japanese? I translate the
        above to mean very roughly "ordinary beginning". I actually think that's
        kind of cool, but I'm not sure if it's what you were going for.

        As for stealing my thunder, don't worry about it. There's plenty of thunder
        to go around. :)

        -emily-
      • Anthony Thompson
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 26, 2001
          Thanks for the info on the name. I speak a very hollow spattering of
          japanese, most of which I picked up from subbed DBZ and Rurouni Kenshin
          animes.

          Anthony-dono
        • Nate Ledbetter
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 27, 2001
            >>>Anthony-dono

            Anthony-dono,

            Just a note, and I don't want to sound, as Effingham
            says, "Snarky", but you shouldn't attach
            titles/honorifics to your OWN name. For example, in
            the SCA I am Shonaigawa Gen'ichiro Toshinobu. I would
            refer to myself, and I do, as Shonaigawa to most
            people, maybe only occaisionally in the right
            circumstances with the right intimacy calling myself
            Toshinobu. Others would refer to me as Shonaigawa-dono
            if we were of equal or if I was a superior (fat chance
            of that!) or if I were an inferior, just Shonaigawa.
            Intimately between ourselves, I could just be
            Gen'ichiro or Toshinobu, but would usually always be
            Shonaigawa-honorific of some sort.

            Check out Effingham's site (URL is in the files
            section), it goes into much greater detail than I ever
            could.

            Tonikaku, Okaeri nasaimase, Effingham-dono!*

            Wish me luck all, I go to the field here in a day or
            two, then as soon as I come back I take the Defense
            Language Proficiency test...Gambaruzo!*

            Shonaigawa

            *anyways, welcome back, Lord Effingham!

            *I'll do my best!

            http://phone.yahoo.com
          • Nate Ledbetter
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 27, 2001
              Anthony-dono e moushi agemasu*

              Nobody slams in here, unless it's good clean fun. As
              for your name, I can't really claim to be an expert,
              but I suggest two things: one, check out
              Effingham-dono's site, the section on names and name
              construction. The URL is in the files section, though
              it should probably be an attachment on every email
              sent in this discussion group! Secondly, read through
              Sansom, or any of the other books in the
              bibliographies on the site. You'll kind of start to
              get a feel for the names and what may sound "right".

              I'm not meaning to suggest that your name is bad...I
              don't know. Hajime I know is a perfectly good "modern"
              personal name. I don't know if it would be period.
              Jinjui sounds rather strange to me as a family name,
              but then again so does Tsutsui, and that's definitely
              accurate and period. What do the characters you used
              mean? Are you trying to translate something? If so, I
              wouldn't necessarily recommend that, but it might
              work. Again, it's all about what YOU want to
              do...others may or may not give you crap about it, but
              who really cares, after all.

              My name, as an example, is Shonaigawa Gen'ichiro
              Toshinobu. Shonaigawa is a river in Nagoya, near where
              I used to live, and where I claim my persona is from.
              Gen'ichiro means "true first son" and is my yobina, or
              what I may be called familiarly by family, etc.
              Toshinobu is two common name elements I like, "toshi"
              from Maeda Toshiie, and "Nobu" from Oda Nobunaga (and
              millions of others). I liked both of these warriors,
              and I liked the combination it made, so I went with
              it. It fits with my desired image as a middle class
              warrior.

              Point is, think about who you might want your persona
              to be...you might not know, and that's cool, but it
              could help to develop an appropriate name. Like I
              said, I don't know enough to say whether your name is
              good or not--and if you like it, then hey, who cares?
              I've met other people who go by anime character names
              that have nothing to do with anything, or whatever.
              They like it, it's cool.

              Good luck!

              Shonaigawa

              *I humbly speak to Lord Anthony

              http://phone.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 27, 2001
                Nate Ledbetter wrote:

                > Tonikaku, Okaeri nasaimase, Effingham-dono!

                Arigataku zonjimasu!*

                > Wish me luck all, I go to the field here in a day or
                > two, then as soon as I come back I take the Defense
                > Language Proficiency test...Gambaruzo!

                Ganbaru n da!!!**

                Effingham

                *Thankee
                **Do well or we'll hurt you
              • Anthony Thompson
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 27, 2001
                  I thought of another name that might make people a little more happy with my
                  botherings.

                  "Yamanaka no Ryuichi Kagesui"

                  I think it sounds pretty cool, what does anyone else think.

                  Problem may come when I used the examples from the various charts on:
                  http://www.geocities.com/sengokudaimyo/Miscellany/Miscellany.html.

                  As for putting suffixes of honor on my name, I am sorry about that. I don't
                  know much about Japanese names and additives as anyone can tell.

                  So it is now a toss up between Jinjui Hajime and Yamanaka no Ryuichi
                  Kagesui. Help please, I beg of you, I just want to know from experienced
                  people which one sounds better.

                  Chan
                • Anthony Thompson
                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 27, 2001
                    sorry, the name should be Yamanaka no Ryuichi Kagesue. Sorry about the
                    waste of bandwidth.

                    chan
                  • Anthony Thompson
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 27, 2001
                      so you think it should be Yamanaka Ryuichi Kagesue? Or did I get the order
                      wrong again?

                      chan
                    • Anthony Thompson
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 27, 2001
                        Oh if I use Yamanaka Ryuichi Kagesue what should I refer to myself as?

                        chan
                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 27, 2001
                          Anthony Thompson wrote:

                          > I thought of another name that might make people a little more happy with my
                          > botherings.
                          >
                          > "Yamanaka no Ryuichi Kagesui"

                          If you mean "KagesuE" and not "KagesuI", then it's fine. A bit unusual in
                          meaning, but it's acceptable.

                          <snip>

                          > As for putting suffixes of honor on my name, I am sorry about that. I don't
                          > know much about Japanese names and additives as anyone can tell.

                          It happens all the time. Don't worry about it, really. Almost everyone coming
                          into the Japanese persona thing starts by sticking a "-san" or somesuch on his
                          own name. Someone will point it out to him, and then that person usually gets
                          dibs on telling the next person who comes in and does it. <G>

                          > So it is now a toss up between Jinjui Hajime and Yamanaka no Ryuichi
                          > Kagesui. Help please, I beg of you, I just want to know from experienced
                          > people which one sounds better.

                          For my money, it's not even a contest. <G>

                          BTW, I might have to revisit what I said on the site, but in late period (say,
                          after 1450s) the "no") has pretty much disappeared in most names.

                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 27, 2001
                            Anthony Thompson wrote:

                            > sorry, the name should be Yamanaka no Ryuichi Kagesue. Sorry about the
                            > waste of bandwidth.

                            Gotcha! <G>

                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 27, 2001
                              Anthony Thompson wrote:

                              > so you think it should be Yamanaka Ryuichi Kagesue? Or did I get the order
                              > wrong again?

                              That's perfect. Absofrikkinlutely perfect. A pretty name is *such* a nice
                              thing. <G>

                              You zo dekitaru!*

                              Effingham

                              *Classical J: "Damn well done!"
                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 27, 2001
                                Anthony Thompson wrote:

                                > Oh if I use Yamanaka Ryuichi Kagesue what should I refer to myself as?

                                Bob. When in doubt, use "Bob." <b>

                                Seriously, it depends on context. With whom? With and among friends,
                                "Kagesue". In more formal (and with strangers) settings, "Yamanaka."

                                In Japanese contexts, I am "Hiraizumi Torokuro Tadanobu" and to most folks
                                I'm "Hiraizumi-dono" and Hiraizumi is the point of reference. There is a
                                handful of folks here, however, who could and *should* call me "Tadanobu."

                                For the record, a common way of saying "I" in historical Japan sets your
                                name reference. The first person reference I would use among friends would
                                be "Kono Tadanobu..." (literally, "this Tadanobu") and in a more formal
                                setting it would be "kono Hiraizumi..."

                                Effingham
                              • Anthony Thompson
                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 27, 2001
                                  That's what I was wanting, domo arigato. (I am such a rip off aren't I)

                                  Kagesue

                                  PS: I like it!

                                  PPS: Does anyone know how I can get a pattern for a samurai kimono or how to
                                  modify a kosode to resemble one?
                                • Barbara Nostrand
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Sep 27, 2001
                                    Yamanaka Dono!

                                    Greetings from Solveig! You got the order right.

                                    >so you think it should be Yamanaka Ryuichi Kagesue? Or did I get the order
                                    >wrong again?
                                    >
                                    >chan

                                    | techie.com, msn.com |
                                  • Barbara Nostrand
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Sep 27, 2001
                                      Noble Cousin!

                                      Greetings from Solveig! Try sessha or maybe waga.

                                      >Oh if I use Yamanaka Ryuichi Kagesue what should I refer to myself as?
                                      >
                                      >chan

                                      | techie.com, msn.com |
                                    • Barbara Nostrand
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Sep 27, 2001
                                        Noble Cousins!

                                        Greetings from Solvieg! The king, the queen, the warlord, the territorial
                                        baron, the prince, the princess, &al should use Tadanobu Dono!

                                        Check out the movie about the artist you has to paint a picture of jigoku.
                                        He is constantly called by his nanori by his employer.

                                        | techie.com, msn.com |
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Sep 28, 2001
                                          Anthony Thompson wrote:

                                          > That's what I was wanting, domo arigato. (I am such a rip off aren't I)
                                          >
                                          > Kagesue
                                          >
                                          > PS: I like it!
                                          >
                                          > PPS: Does anyone know how I can get a pattern for a samurai kimono or how to
                                          > modify a kosode to resemble one?

                                          There is really no such thing. There are different kinds of kosode worn in
                                          different times by different people, but...

                                          What you must say is, what *period* are you curious about?

                                          You might want to check out my garb page first to see what you should be
                                          wearing.

                                          Start with http://www.geocities.com/sengokudaimyo and follow the link to the
                                          garb site.

                                          The real difference with kosode is with the sleeves. Unlike modern square,
                                          dangly sleeves, kosode sleeves are more sloping and are attached totally to the
                                          body with no flappy bit.

                                          Effingham
                                        • Anthony Thompson
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Sep 28, 2001
                                            Well, I don't really know what period I am looking for.  I would like something that is pre-Edo (obviously), but too far before.

                                            I think what I am looking for is on the site http://www.geocities.com/sengokudaimyo/garb/Garb.html under "Kataginu kamishimo" in Men's Outfits.  The right-most picture, but without the shoulder thingies.

                                            If you can help me out I would be much appreciative.

                                            Kugesue
                                          • Anthony Thompson
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Sep 28, 2001
                                              Sorry about my ignorance, I just am not very familiar with Japanese
                                              clothing. Ok, well, I have a pattern for the hakama and the kosode, so I
                                              think I should be set, correct? As for the being in a hurry bit; yeah, I
                                              kind of am. I just like to get the intiative to do things or I won't end up
                                              doing it. I figure if I get the patterns, the fabric (which will be no
                                              problem), and the time to do it, I should be set.

                                              The last question before I decide to stop being a nuisance, is what kind of
                                              footwear should I get for a Muromachi era samurai and where and how can I
                                              get it? I think that is around the time that I would like my persona to be.

                                              Kugesue
                                            • Ii Saburou
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Sep 28, 2001
                                                On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Anthony Thompson wrote:

                                                > The last question before I decide to stop being a nuisance, is what kind of
                                                > footwear should I get for a Muromachi era samurai and where and how can I
                                                > get it? I think that is around the time that I would like my persona to be.

                                                I've seen alot of bare feet in pictures, but you probably want something
                                                in this day and age.

                                                Tabi are a good start. You can purchase these from various
                                                places--martial arts suppliers might have something for you, and I'm sure
                                                there are other commercial and modern versions. However, be warned that
                                                many modern models are slightly different in how they close, from what I
                                                understand. Looking at some of the older ones, they seemed to tie in
                                                front, rather than a clasp in back. I must admit to using modern ones
                                                myself; for one, the plastic sole is a little bit nicer on certain types
                                                of terrain (it didn't freeze to the ice outside in AK) and wears down
                                                slower. On the other hand, I'm planning to make myself a good period set
                                                as soon as I can fit it in to all my other projects.

                                                Now, besides that you will also probably want some waraji. These are
                                                straw sandals. Actually, I need to get some straw and make myself some
                                                new ones; this would be a great 'classrooom' at an event. The problem
                                                with waraji is noted in the fact that the warriors would often measure
                                                distance by how many pairs of sandals you went through. People who wear
                                                waraji get used to making lots of them.

                                                Finally, there are the various geta--the high wooden clog-sandals. I like
                                                them because they keep me out of the mud and, unlike waraji, I don't have
                                                to repair them quite as often. They are also supposed to be good for
                                                toughening up your feet and helping you with your balance. With the right
                                                tools you can make one pair out of a block of wood (the risers interlock,
                                                using as much of the wood as possible). However, you can also cheat in
                                                various methods. Gluing the risers on is one way, although you will
                                                probably want some extra support of very good glue. Also, you can set a
                                                table saw to a certain depth, and cut away the parts you don't want on a
                                                fairly thick board. This wastes a lot of wood, however, and I don't
                                                prefer it.

                                                You can make the geta with either two risers or one. It seems that they
                                                were more often the footwear of monks; I'm not sure why. I imagine that a
                                                warrior would want to have his feet more firmly planted on the ground so
                                                as to be more mobile in case of a sudden attack. While there are several
                                                paintings I can think of depicting people accomplishing amazing feats in
                                                geta I think that the fact they are wearing them is part of the 'amazing'
                                                bit.

                                                Then there are what appear to be a fabric boot in Heian times. I haven't
                                                looked into this as much as I want to.

                                                Well, I'm sure someone will correct me.

                                                -Ii
                                              • Elaine Koogler
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Oct 1, 2001
                                                  If you still want to make the kataginu, what I did was to take a kosode pattern
                                                  and simply extend the size of the body part and omit the triangular piece in
                                                  front. That would give you something shaped approximately like the picture on
                                                  Master Edward's web site.

                                                  Kiri

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Oct 1, 2001
                                                    Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                                                    > Noble Cousin!
                                                    >
                                                    > Greetings from Solveig! Try sessha or maybe waga.

                                                    For those who don't know historical Japanese, these are both
                                                    first-person-singular pronouns, so not very useful in English conversation.

                                                    Solveig, I think she was referring to her *name*, as in how she should
                                                    introduce herself or sign things....

                                                    Effingham
                                                  • Barbara Nostrand
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Oct 1, 2001
                                                      Noble Cousins!

                                                      Greetings from Solveig! How about Shibushoku wo sashiagate itasu. Sesha wa
                                                      doko-doko ni umareta nanika no oshigoto wo uketote dare-dare to mousu.

                                                      I shouldn't do this sort of thing when I am half asleep anymore. I used
                                                      to dream in Japanese, but that is now a long time ago.

                                                      | techie.com, msn.com |
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Oct 2, 2001
                                                        Anthony Thompson wrote:

                                                        > Well, I don't really know what period I am looking for. I would like
                                                        > something that is pre-Edo (obviously), but too far before. I think
                                                        > what I am looking for is on the site
                                                        > http://www.geocities.com/sengokudaimyo/garb/Garb.html under "Kataginu
                                                        > kamishimo" in Men's Outfits. The right-most picture, but without the
                                                        > shoulder thingies.

                                                        The outfit you want is on the LEFT. The one on the right is Edo, post
                                                        period.

                                                        That's why the illustration is there, to show what the outfit turned
                                                        into.

                                                        Effingham
                                                      • Anthony Thompson
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Oct 2, 2001
                                                          sorry, I stupid.

                                                          stupid
                                                        • Anthony Thompson
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Oct 2, 2001
                                                            So, where can i get a pattern for a kataginu? Forgive my stupidity.

                                                            Stupid-chan
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Oct 6, 2001
                                                              Anthony Thompson wrote:

                                                              > So, where can i get a pattern for a kataginu? Forgive my stupidity.

                                                              I'll try to put one together this weekend. There'll be a notice when it's
                                                              posted to the files section.

                                                              There's no stupidity involved at all!