thanks for your help

  • Cameron Slayden
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 24 11:18 AM
      That sounds like a good way to go. By the way, I'm a man :)

      -c

      From: Elaine Koogler <ekoogler@...>
      To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Introduction
      Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 12:57:18 -0400

      My Lady,
      Actual Japanese events are quite rare around here, but there are events
      going
      on just about every weekend. I suggest that you go to the Kingdom of
      Atlantia's web page, http://www.sca.atlantia.org, where you'll find a link
      the kingdom newsletter's web page, where you'll find information about
      upcoming
      events. You can also get information about the various groups around you by
      linking to their individual web pages.

      I can tell you that there is a Baronial Birthday event in Lochmere (St.
      Martin
      in the Fields Church in Severna Park, MD) as well as an event in northern
      Virginia (Ponte Alto). I feel certain that you would be welcome at either
      of
      these events, and, if you contact the autocrat (listed in the event
      announcement...see above) I feel certain that they will help find garb
      (period
      clothing) to wear if you don't have anything!

      Hope this helps!

      Kiri

      Cameron Slayden wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I am just now becoming interested in the SCA... I looked it up and
      > apparently I am in the barony of Storvik (D.C. metro area). I would
      really
      > like to get into japanese SCA events, and I was wondering if anyone knew
      of
      > any groups around me?
      >
      > -c

    • Elaine Koogler
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 24 11:26 AM
        Ooops! Sorry about that. I occasionally get mistaken for a man as well...not
        in person, but by my name, for those not familiar with Japanese names....I've
        been called "Lord Minowara" more than once! My SCA name is Minowara Kiritsubo,
        and I am from the Barony of Dun Carraig, in southern Maryland (Calvert, Charles
        and St. Mary's counties). If there is any way in which I may be of assistance,
        please let me know. My lord and I are going to the event this coming weekend in
        Lochmere. I won't be in Japanese garb...I'll probably be in Italian Ren, but
        the best way to identify me is to look for a silver coronet with a cross bottony
        (the one with the bumps on each end) in garnets on the front.

        Kiri

        Cameron Slayden wrote:

        > That sounds like a good way to go. By the way, I'm a man :)
        >
        > -c
        >
        > From: Elaine Koogler <ekoogler@...>
        > To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Introduction
        > Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 12:57:18 -0400
        >
        > My Lady,
        > Actual Japanese events are quite rare around here, but there are events
        > going
        > on just about every weekend. I suggest that you go to the Kingdom of
        > Atlantia's web page, http://www.sca.atlantia.org, where you'll find a link
        > the kingdom newsletter's web page, where you'll find information about
        > upcoming
        > events. You can also get information about the various groups around you by
        > linking to their individual web pages.
        >
        > I can tell you that there is a Baronial Birthday event in Lochmere (St.
        > Martin
        > in the Fields Church in Severna Park, MD) as well as an event in northern
        > Virginia (Ponte Alto). I feel certain that you would be welcome at either
        > of
        > these events, and, if you contact the autocrat (listed in the event
        > announcement...see above) I feel certain that they will help find garb
        > (period
        > clothing) to wear if you don't have anything!
        >
        > Hope this helps!
        >
        > Kiri
        >
        > Cameron Slayden wrote:
        >
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > I am just now becoming interested in the SCA... I looked it up and
        > > apparently I am in the barony of Storvik (D.C. metro area). I would
        > really
        > > like to get into japanese SCA events, and I was wondering if anyone knew
        > of
        > > any groups around me?
        > >
        > > -c

      • Munson, Eric
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 24 11:28 AM
          It's beginning to sound like Atlantia is the place to be! All I can say is
          that you guys ought to consider doing an event together... hint - hint...
          nudge - nudge....

          - mokurai (lonely in the East Kingdom)

        • schneider
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 24 11:38 AM
            Speaking of which, I'm in NC in Sarum Henge
            Takezo Yoshida
            > It's beginning to sound like Atlantia is the place to be! All I can say is
            > that you guys ought to consider doing an event together... hint - hint...
            > nudge - nudge....
            >
            > - mokurai (lonely in the East Kingdom)
            >
            > > ----------

          • Carl Grasso
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 24 11:42 AM
              - mokurai (lonely in the East Kingdom)

              Hey! You're not the only one in the EK! I too reside in the fair Kingdom of the East

              -Seiryu

              =====
              http://www.dharmacats.com
              ---
              With every gust of the wind, the butterfly changes its place on the willow.
              -Basho

            • Elaine Koogler
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 24 11:42 AM
                We did an event a year ago and nobody (relatively speaking) came. It was a
                Festival of Kites and it was just about a year ago...we only had 45 people
                attend, and lost a lot of money. So I'm not sure when I will be able to
                convince my Barony to sponsor another one!

                However, I seem to recall being told at Pennsic that a group just north of DC,
                Roxbury Mill, is considering doing a Japanese event...I think that's the
                one...I know that they asked me to be a consultant on their feast. I agreed,
                of course! I think that the kitchen's the best place to be at an event
                anyway!!

                Kiri

                By the way, for anyone who's interested, there's a Cooks' Symposium being held
                December 1 in Windsor, Ontario...and I've been asked to be the Guest Speaker.
                I'm going to talk about researching and cooking oriental feasts. Most of the
                emphasis will be on my research on Chinese and Mongol foods, but I will be
                talking a little about the Japanese as well. This is an event flyer that was
                recently sent out about it:

                Gentle Cooks and Those That Would Be Cooks

                Please note that:

                The Cook's Guild of the Shire of Starleaf Gate
                will proudly present
                A Cooks Symposium on
                December 1, 2001.

                Join us for a day of good company, learning and eating!
                Classes for beginners and advanced cooks.
                Discussions on the art of cooking in the medieval style, modern
                issues such as food safety and networking with other cooks.
                People interested in teaching, please contact the Steward below.

                Merchants of cookery related goods: Limited merchant tables
                available for donation of raffle items. Contact Event Steward.
                Raffles will be done for various cookbooks and cooking related
                items.
                Recipe Swap (day of event, bring copies of your favourite
                recipe(s))

                Trinity United Church,
                1970 Tourangeau Rd
                Windsor, Ontario Canada
                make checks to "SCA-Starleaf Gate" Cnd funds please
                Site opens 9am- Closes 9pm

                Site fee: $5 plus a dish for feast
                A simple lunch will be available

                Site is bone dry, smoke free, handicap accessible (please advise
                Steward to have lift available) and has decent kitchen facilities

                Event Steward
                Dame Hauviette d'Anjou/ Channon Mondoux
                1534 Church rd. Windsor, Ont. N8X1V3
                - (519) 255-7812 or email at channonm@...
                Call for available accommodations.
                Directions and border updates will be posted in
                November. Or see the posting of 8/25/01.

                Kiri

                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 24 11:51 AM
                  > ----------

                  Yeah, but where? Maybe I should have said "lonely in the Southern Region."
                  Bottom line is we need more events and other excuses to get together and
                  have fun.

                  Gomen nasai.

                  - mo

                  > =====
                  > http://www.dharmacats.com
                  > ---
                  > With every gust of the wind, the butterfly changes its place on the
                  > willow.
                  > -Basho

                • Carl Grasso
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 24 12:07 PM
                    > Yeah, but where? Maybe I should have said "lonely in the Southern Region."
                    > Bottom line is we need more events and other excuses to get together and
                    > have fun.

                    Good point. I'm in the Northern Region (Glenn Linn).

                    Sigh.

                    -Seiryu

                    =====
                    http://www.dharmacats.com
                    ---

                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 24 2:27 PM
                      In a message dated 9/24/2001 2:50:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time, sarken2@... writes:

                      - mokurai (lonely in the East Kingdom)

                      Hey! You're not the only one in the EK! I too reside in the fair Kingdom of the East

                      -Seiryu

                      Me too. Central Jersey to be exact.

                      Takabayashi Genpachi
                    • BamboOni@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 24 2:30 PM
                        In a message dated 9/24/2001 3:04:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time, eric.munson@... writes:

                        "lonely in the Southern Region."

                        Southern region where? If I may ask.

                        Takabayashi Genpachi
                      • Barbara Nostrand
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 24 3:02 PM

                          Greeting from Sovleig! I am on the border of the East, AEthelmearc and
                          Eldomere.

                          | techie.com, msn.com |
                        • Barbara Nostrand
                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 24 3:22 PM

                            Greetings from Solveig! Unfortunately, Windsor is next to Detroit so I will
                            have to fly. I suppose that I can drive to Ottawa and fly from there. That
                            should not be too difficult. I am currently interested in food, I suppose
                            that it would be good for me to show up at the Cooks Symposium and give a
                            talk on Japanese Food and Food Culture. Thank you for telling me about this
                            rather interesting sounding event!

                            Does anyone know whether there is a Known World Cooks Symposium scheduled
                            for sometime during the next year?

                            | techie.com, msn.com |
                          • Ii Saburou
                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 24 7:19 PM
                              On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Munson, Eric wrote:

                              > It's beginning to sound like Atlantia is the place to be! All I can say is
                              > that you guys ought to consider doing an event together... hint - hint...
                              > nudge - nudge....

                              Talking to local seneschals it sounds like any real, official event would
                              have to be planned at LEAST a year in advance--but I'm up for that. I'm
                              willing to autocrat if others want to attend. Still need to find a good
                              place to hold it--I know that churches often allow groups to use their
                              spaces, I wonder if there are any local temples that might be willing to
                              do something similar? Unfortunately, I wouldn't know who or how to ask...

                              However, unofficially, I would like to invite people to a picnic when the
                              cherry blossoms begin to bloom; we could go out and have an unofficial
                              picnic under the cherry trees by the Jefferson memorial. Although I don't
                              see why we would need permission (this will NOT be a martial event) I'm
                              still looking into it to make sure we wouldn't get in trouble.

                              Current plans are for either the weekend of April 20th or about three
                              weekends prior to that--if it were in between then, there is the cherry
                              blossom festival going on and I've been warned that traffic can be pretty
                              heavy in the area.

                              This is still mostly in the idea stage at the moment and definitely not
                              official in any sense of the word. Still, don't need it to be official to
                              get around, write poetry, play games, etc.

                              -Ii
                            • Munson, Eric
                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 25 6:15 AM
                                > ----------

                                In teresting thought. But the bottom line is going to be space for what you
                                want to do - design the event first, then find a site that matches those
                                requirements. if you have a limited choice of sites, then go back and
                                consider editing the event plan.

                                > Unfortunately, I wouldn't know who or how to ask...

                                Phone book. This is the legwork part. Check with autocrats of events in your
                                area to find out if they have leads or if a site they have used might be
                                available for your time slot.

                                > However, unofficially, I would like to invite people to a picnic when the
                                > cherry blossoms begin to bloom; we could go out and have an unofficial
                                > picnic under the cherry trees by the Jefferson memorial. Although I don't
                                > see why we would need permission (this will NOT be a martial event) I'm
                                > still looking into it to make sure we wouldn't get in trouble.

                                Cool! We'd come down for that. That is me and five or six household members.

                                > Current plans are for either the weekend of April 20th or about three
                                > weekends prior to that--if it were in between then, there is the cherry
                                > blossom festival going on and I've been warned that traffic can be pretty
                                > heavy in the area.
                                >
                                > This is still mostly in the idea stage at the moment and definitely not
                                > official in any sense of the word. Still, don't need it to be official to
                                > get around, write poetry, play games, etc.

                                Did anyone ever figure out rules for Gitcho? Has Effingham dropped off the
                                face of the earth?

                                - mokurai

                                > -Ii

                              • Munson, Eric
                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 25 6:20 AM
                                  > ----------

                                  Shire of Eisental - Allentown, PA. We host the landsknecht event and the SR
                                  War Practice in July, also Krakow Festivities in January. Sound familiar?
                                  Where are you at? Maybe we should take it off line if we start discussing
                                  local stuff.

                                  - mokurai

                                  > Takabayashi Genpachi
                                  >
                                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                • Elaine Koogler
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 25 6:45 AM
                                    Yes, I believe that there is one scheduled for near Denver, and I think, IIRC,
                                    that it is sometime in February. You want to contact Mary Morman (SCA--Elaina
                                    de Sinstre) for more information.

                                    Kiri

                                    Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                                    > Noble Cousins!
                                    >
                                    > Greetings from Solveig! Unfortunately, Windsor is next to Detroit so I will
                                    > have to fly. I suppose that I can drive to Ottawa and fly from there. That
                                    > should not be too difficult. I am currently interested in food, I suppose
                                    > that it would be good for me to show up at the Cooks Symposium and give a
                                    > talk on Japanese Food and Food Culture. Thank you for telling me about this
                                    > rather interesting sounding event!
                                    >
                                    > Does anyone know whether there is a Known World Cooks Symposium scheduled
                                    > for sometime during the next year?
                                    >
                                    > Your Humble Servant
                                    > Solveig Throndardottir
                                    > Amateur Scholar
                                    > --
                                    > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM |
                                    > | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:bnostran@... |
                                    > | Ignored domains: bestbiz.net, pop.net, hotmail.com, aibusiness.com |
                                    > | vdi.net, usa.net, tpnet.pl, myremarq.com |
                                    > | netscape.net, excite.com, bigfoot.com, public.com |
                                    > | com.tw, eranet.net, yahoo.com, success.net |
                                    > | mailcity.com, net.tw, twac.com, netcenter.com |
                                    > | techie.com, msn.com |
                                  • Elaine Koogler
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 25 7:17 AM
                                      Let us know when you plan this, and we'll try to be there. I know we have a
                                      local event scheduled for sometime around there and, as Baroness, I sort of have
                                      to be there, you know!

                                      Kiri

                                    • andrea@gideonfamily.org
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 25 10:47 AM
                                        > However, I seem to recall being told at Pennsic that a group just
                                        north of DC,
                                        > Roxbury Mill, is considering doing a Japanese event...I think that's
                                        the
                                        > one...I know that they asked me to be a consultant on their feast.
                                        I agreed,
                                        > of course! I think that the kitchen's the best place to be at an
                                        event
                                        > anyway!!
                                        >
                                        > Kiri
                                        That's my group. Right now, I'm not sure it will happen. Everyone is
                                        interested, but they want me to autocrat it. I'm just not sure I have
                                        the time and energy for that. Real life as a college student at
                                        night, chasing a toddler during the day and I just added an infant to
                                        the mix (my sister's nanny lost her husband in the Pentagon fire). If
                                        I decide to not take classes next year, I'll do it, but otherwise it
                                        will go on the back burner.
                                        Nadeshiko
                                      • mneumark@hotmail.com
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 26 9:19 AM
                                          --- In sca-jml@y..., Elaine Koogler <ekoogler@c...> wrote:
                                          > We did an event a year ago and nobody (relatively speaking) came.
                                          It was a
                                          > Festival of Kites and it was just about a year ago...we only had 45
                                          people
                                          > attend, and lost a lot of money. So I'm not sure when I will be
                                          able to
                                          > convince my Barony to sponsor another one!

                                          After 19 years, the Barony of Altavia decided to stop doing their
                                          Japanese Tourney. This last august was our last one and advertized
                                          as such, getting roughly 85 people to show. That's not bad for such
                                          a specialized event. We decided to stop these events because of lack
                                          of interest...some of the years we had a whopping 8 people show,
                                          including Baronial presence. >sigh<

                                          I was part of the decision to cancel this event, though it just
                                          killed me to do so. What we DID decide, however, was to replace it
                                          with a "Marco Polo" Friendship Tourney, meaning we have two other
                                          Baronies that we dragged into this AND we opened the theme to other
                                          things not just Japanese or Asian (middle eastern, europe,
                                          asia...whatever that Marco Polo touched or wanted to). I'm HOPING
                                          that this will allow us to squeeze in some Japanese stuff, and draw
                                          in new people...more attendants.

                                          I'll track down our website so you can see pictures of the event. We
                                          had an Iron Chef competition (theme ingrediant was Almonds), Shinai
                                          champion, some arts and sciences stuff...lots of fun.

                                          --Artemesia (Tasukawa Raku)
                                        • Elaine Koogler
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Sep 26 12:49 PM
                                            I certainly understand....I'm autocratting Kingdom Twelfth Night. I can do
                                            this because I'm currently unemployed (actively looking, though!!), so I have
                                            the time to get things set up. If you decide to do this, let me know and
                                            I'll do what I can to help.

                                            Kiri

                                            andrea@... wrote:

                                            > > However, I seem to recall being told at Pennsic that a group just
                                            > north of DC,
                                            > > Roxbury Mill, is considering doing a Japanese event...I think that's
                                            > the
                                            > > one...I know that they asked me to be a consultant on their feast.
                                            > I agreed,
                                            > > of course! I think that the kitchen's the best place to be at an
                                            > event
                                            > > anyway!!
                                            > >
                                            > > Kiri
                                            > That's my group. Right now, I'm not sure it will happen. Everyone is
                                            > interested, but they want me to autocrat it. I'm just not sure I have
                                            > the time and energy for that. Real life as a college student at
                                            > night, chasing a toddler during the day and I just added an infant to
                                            > the mix (my sister's nanny lost her husband in the Pentagon fire). If
                                            > I decide to not take classes next year, I'll do it, but otherwise it
                                            > will go on the back burner.
                                            > Nadeshiko

                                          • Elaine Koogler
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Sep 26 2:15 PM
                                              Sounds great! I wish that there were some way we could all get together and
                                              throw an event...if nothing else, we'd have all of us there!

                                              Kiri

                                              mneumark@... wrote:

                                              > --- In sca-jml@y..., Elaine Koogler <ekoogler@c...> wrote:
                                              > > We did an event a year ago and nobody (relatively speaking) came.
                                              > It was a
                                              > > Festival of Kites and it was just about a year ago...we only had 45
                                              > people
                                              > > attend, and lost a lot of money. So I'm not sure when I will be
                                              > able to
                                              > > convince my Barony to sponsor another one!
                                              >
                                              > After 19 years, the Barony of Altavia decided to stop doing their
                                              > Japanese Tourney. This last august was our last one and advertized
                                              > as such, getting roughly 85 people to show. That's not bad for such
                                              > a specialized event. We decided to stop these events because of lack
                                              > of interest...some of the years we had a whopping 8 people show,
                                              > including Baronial presence. >sigh<
                                              >
                                              > I was part of the decision to cancel this event, though it just
                                              > killed me to do so. What we DID decide, however, was to replace it
                                              > with a "Marco Polo" Friendship Tourney, meaning we have two other
                                              > Baronies that we dragged into this AND we opened the theme to other
                                              > things not just Japanese or Asian (middle eastern, europe,
                                              > asia...whatever that Marco Polo touched or wanted to). I'm HOPING
                                              > that this will allow us to squeeze in some Japanese stuff, and draw
                                              > in new people...more attendants.
                                              >
                                              > I'll track down our website so you can see pictures of the event. We
                                              > had an Iron Chef competition (theme ingrediant was Almonds), Shinai
                                              > champion, some arts and sciences stuff...lots of fun.
                                              >
                                              > --Artemesia (Tasukawa Raku)

                                            • Ii Saburou
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Sep 26 3:54 PM
                                                On Wed, 26 Sep 2001 mneumark@... wrote:

                                                > After 19 years, the Barony of Altavia decided to stop doing their
                                                > Japanese Tourney. This last august was our last one and advertized
                                                > as such, getting roughly 85 people to show. That's not bad for such
                                                > a specialized event. We decided to stop these events because of lack
                                                > of interest...some of the years we had a whopping 8 people show,
                                                > including Baronial presence. >sigh<

                                                Okay, now I know I am coming from the sticks. How many people is
                                                considered 'acceptable' for a barony to host an event? We rarely had all
                                                15 of our baronial members show up to some events in AK; and by the sound
                                                of it that wouldn't be worth making it an official event in these parts.

                                                > I was part of the decision to cancel this event, though it just
                                                > killed me to do so. What we DID decide, however, was to replace it
                                                > with a "Marco Polo" Friendship Tourney, meaning we have two other
                                                > Baronies that we dragged into this AND we opened the theme to other
                                                > things not just Japanese or Asian (middle eastern, europe,
                                                > asia...whatever that Marco Polo touched or wanted to). I'm HOPING
                                                > that this will allow us to squeeze in some Japanese stuff, and draw
                                                > in new people...more attendants.

                                                That would beone way of doing it. I don't recall that Marco Polo ever
                                                went to Japan, but I have seen evidence that there were Japanese along the
                                                Silk Road.

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Sep 26 10:37 PM
                                                  "Munson, Eric" wrote:

                                                  > Did anyone ever figure out rules for Gitcho? Has Effingham dropped off the
                                                  > face of the earth?

                                                  Not quite... I've been occupied for a while, and am trying to catch up....

                                                  Edward
                                                • mneumark@hotmail.com
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Sep 28 2:38 PM
                                                    > Okay, now I know I am coming from the sticks. How many people is
                                                    > considered 'acceptable' for a barony to host an event? We rarely
                                                    had all
                                                    > 15 of our baronial members show up to some events in AK; and by
                                                    the sound
                                                    > of it that wouldn't be worth making it an official event in these
                                                    parts.

                                                    Well...it depends on how much the site is. As long as we break even,
                                                    then we're ok. I think we need at least 40 people to pay roughly $3
                                                    per person to make it financially worth it (covering prizes,
                                                    supplies, site tokens, insurance, the site itself, etc). Whether or
                                                    not our Barony feels like doing it just for 40, however, is another
                                                    story. Dates for events are hard to get in Caid and we want well
                                                    attended events (like above 70) to get the most bang for the buck (do
                                                    you know what I mean?).

                                                    It also needs to be said that we needed at least 8 shinai fighters to
                                                    bother with this all too. The year before we had 3 fighters and it
                                                    was VERY sad. The Shinai people in the past few years have been
                                                    really shakey at coming to events. Our "daughter" Barony, Dun Or,
                                                    runs Brigand Hunt (I believe) which is a shinai event...6 people
                                                    showed up to that event, and I don't believe any of them were
                                                    fighters. That event is now canceled forever because of lack of
                                                    interest. That was VERY sad to me.

                                                    I think that if we had a consistent amount of people who want to
                                                    participate in the event, like run contests and do arts and stuff,
                                                    then 40 is cool. One of the little issues was that not many people
                                                    were interested in running the event, let alone pieces of it. As
                                                    Seneschal, I'm not supposed to run any event, but I did run the past
                                                    three Japanese Tourneys (the first I wasn't seneschal) with some help
                                                    from my very close friends (like Dame Selene Colfox). I LOVE that
                                                    event...it's MY event. My first event I ever ran and I loved EVERY
                                                    second of it. But we can't run an event just to keep me happy
                                                    (although....). ;)

                                                    I'm not sure if I'm making much sense, but basically if we had a
                                                    great group of enthusiastic japan-o-philes around, then I think my
                                                    Barony would say "go for it"...but since it's normally just me and
                                                    Selene...well...it was too much.

                                                    > That would beone way of doing it. I don't recall that Marco Polo
                                                    ever
                                                    > went to Japan, but I have seen evidence that there were Japanese
                                                    along the
                                                    > Silk Road.

                                                    That's the angle we're going to use too...Silk Road. Yep it;s a
                                                    stretch, but at least it makes me somewhat happy. :D

                                                    --Raku
                                                  • Ii Saburou
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Sep 28 6:34 PM
                                                      On Fri, 28 Sep 2001 mneumark@... wrote:

                                                      > supplies, site tokens, insurance, the site itself, etc). Whether or
                                                      > not our Barony feels like doing it just for 40, however, is another
                                                      > story. Dates for events are hard to get in Caid and we want well
                                                      > attended events (like above 70) to get the most bang for the buck (do
                                                      > you know what I mean?).

                                                      I'm just a poor bushi trying to make his way in the capital, but it seems
                                                      to me that if you know that the event is going to be small, and there are
                                                      some dedicated people, then maybe you could ask for a dispensation--it's
                                                      not like you have all that many people to take away from the main event.

                                                      Then again, switching hats, if you do this, then others will want to do it
                                                      until all you have are a bunch of little events. Sigh.

                                                      -Ii
                                                    • mneumark@hotmail.com
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Oct 1, 2001

                                                        > I'm just a poor bushi trying to make his way in the capital, but it
                                                        seems
                                                        > to me that if you know that the event is going to be small, and
                                                        there are
                                                        > some dedicated people, then maybe you could ask for a dispensation--
                                                        it's
                                                        > not like you have all that many people to take away from the main
                                                        event.

                                                        > Then again, switching hats, if you do this, then others will want
                                                        to do it
                                                        > until all you have are a bunch of little events. Sigh.

                                                        And that's the problem. We need to be consistent, so if we canceled
                                                        an archery event years ago because of lack of interest (which that is
                                                        very sad too since we have an olympic archery range here in my
                                                        barony), then we need to do the same thing with this one. We need to
                                                        allow other people to try different things by opening this date up.
                                                        Believe me, I didn't want to cancel it, but when I brought it up, it
                                                        seemed there was a rousing "YES" to kill it too.

                                                        Depressing. ::boo-boo face::

                                                        But hopefully the new event will be just as fun and more people will
                                                        be apart of it.

                                                        --Raku