Re: [SCA-JML] new Genji ?

  • Tylar A. Umeno
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 21, 2001
      I have a proof copy of this. Picked it up this past summer in a little book
      store near Harvard. It has a lot of illustrations and the text doesn't flow
      as well as other versions I've seen. But then this is a proof copy so I
      can't comment on how it ended up and I only managed to read the first
      hundred pages before life started up again. The back cover says

      "In the tradition of Robert Fagles's translations of the Iliad and the
      Odyssey, Viking presents a stunning new translation of Lady Murasaki's
      exquisite portrait of court life in medieval Japan. Written in the eleventh
      century, The Tale of Genji is widely celebrated as the world's first novel,
      but as Donald Keene has observed, "It is also one of the greatest." Genji
      the Shining Prince, the son of an emperor, is a passionate character whose
      tempestuous nature, family circumstances, love affairs, alliances, and
      shifting political fortunes from the core of this magnificent epic.
      Throughout, The Tale of Genji offers a lively and well-rounded glimpse of
      golden age Japan with a cast of characters as richly conceived and nuanced
      as those of Proust.

      Royall Tyler's superb translation-the first complete new translation in
      twenty-five years and arguably the best- is scrupulously true to the
      Japanese original but appeals immediately to the modern reader as well.
      Tyler includes detailed notes, glossaries, character lists, and a chronology
      to help the reader navigate the multigenerational narrative and its
      references. The publication of this magnificently packaged two-volume set is
      a literary event that will renew interest in this masterpiece of world
      literature and serve as the standard edition for many years to come."

      The publication date listed on the back of the book is October 15, 2001.
      There will also be a six city marketing tour.

      In service,
      Akiyo

      Mundanely: Tylar A. Umeno (4th year junior at UMBC)
      SCA: Taira no Akiyo (14th century artisan, musician, dancer, and eventually
      to be seen on a battlefield near you)