Re: [SCA-JML] nice antique armour for sale

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 20, 2001
      Noble Cousin!

      Greetings from Solveig! During much of our period of interest, male
      members of the buke (military caste) had two given names. One of
      them is a formal nanori of which there are thousands of possibilities.
      The other is the yobina which comes from a much more limited name
      stock. You are more likely to be called by your yobina than your
      nanori. Generallly speaking, the nanori was the more important of
      the two names. Finally, Japanese tended to avoid using names.

      The nanori appears to be a Japanese imitation of Chinese given names
      using native Japanese readings. The yobina mostly sound like Charlie
      Chan's son's.

      There is generally little restriction on famous names. What you need
      to avoid is the complete names of famous individuals AND a few more
      or less pretentious names. There are two groups of Japanese nanori
      which should be avoided for this reason. Finally, you can not be
      a Toyotomi. We know the names of all of the Toyotomi from before 1601.

      The nanori is formally declared on the battle field. The act of
      formally declaring your name is also called "nanori" in Japanese.
      The nanori is also for formal court situations such as receiving
      awards and appointments.

      | techie.com, msn.com |