Introduction

  • Elaine Koogler
    Message 1 of 136 , Sep 18, 2001
      Konnichiwa!
      I have just joined this group and figured I'd better introduce myself.
      It's taken me a while to find you all, and I'm very happy to be part of
      your conversations.

      To begin with, I have to let you all know that I do not speak or write
      Japanese...I had planned to do advanced study in Japanese culture and
      art and knew that, in order to read primary sources, I would need to
      know the Chinese kanji rather than the modern Japanese. So....I took
      Chinese...and it was many, many years ago!

      My personna in the SCA is a lady of the Samurai class in the Momoyama
      period. I have been doing this for over 20 years, now, and have
      thoroughly enjoyed doing it, despite being told by numerous folk that my
      personna doesn't belong in the SCA!

      I live, in the modern world, in southern Maryland. Our local group is
      the Barony of Dun Carraig, Kingdom Atlantia...and I and my lord are
      honored to serve as Baron and Baroness of this group. I have also
      served the Kingdom as Principal Herald and in various other local
      offices. I have done research on heraldry, garb and cookery, the latter
      being the most frustrating as I've not been able to find period recipes
      in translation! I have cooked a number of "oriental" feasts wherein
      I've tried to at least stick to foods and ingredients that are period,
      but dream of the day when I can cook one with all period recipes. I
      came near to being able to do this last year when I cooked a feast with
      period Mongol and Chinese recipes, though the Japanese course was still
      "period-oid".

      I have already noted that my knowledge is very slim, compared to some of
      the conversations I've read on this list. So be prepared...I just love
      to ask questions! I only hope that you will be patient with me. This
      is an area of study that I have loved for many years, and have
      endeavored to convey my love to those around me.

      Minowara Kiritsubo
      aka Elaine Koogler
    • Robert Shroyer
      Message 136 of 136 , Dec 11, 2011
        Did you want woodblock information? Fort Wayne public library used to have a treasure trove on the subject.

        Hiroda Ujio

        Sent from my iPhone