Question on "Kazami"

  • Joyce Brown
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 14, 2001
      > greetings,

      for give me for sending this again, but I am still
      very new at these computer things.

      I'm afraid the address I gave brings up the whole
      list instead of the single photo--- the costume I
      refer to is the second one on the list --young girl in
      everyday wear, called "kazami" --- I'm afraid I do not
      know how to bring up just the one photo.

      http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/wayou/index.htm

      > thank you in advance (again)
      > in service
      > viola carara

    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 14, 2001
        On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Joyce Brown wrote:

        > > greetings,
        >
        > for give me for sending this again, but I am still
        > very new at these computer things.
        >
        > I'm afraid the address I gave brings up the whole
        > list instead of the single photo--- the costume I
        > refer to is the second one on the list --young girl in
        > everyday wear, called "kazami" --- I'm afraid I do not
        > know how to bring up just the one photo.

        That's alright, I think I know what you are talking about.

        Looking at it, I would tend to think that it is talking about the string
        at the shoulders. What I'm having trouble distinguishing is whether that
        cord is tied at the shoulders or part of the item the young lady is
        carrying in her hands. Perhaps someone else will know, but it looks like
        a string on the top of the sleeves--not sure if there would be one or two.

        -Ii
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 15, 2001

          Greetings from Solveig! A kazami is a light outer robe made out
          of silk which could be of either straight or twill weave worn by
          young women.

          What is the context for yudachi?

          | techie.com, msn.com |
        • Ii Saburou
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 16, 2001
            On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, Barbara Nostrand wrote:

            > What is the context for yudachi?

            The web page that was pointed to had a diagram of the garments. What
            appears to have been a himo at the shoulder (it was white on a white
            background, so hard to see in the actual picture) is pointed out in the
            diagram as a 'yudachi' with no kanji given on the Japanese version of the
            page.

            If you check out the link she pointed to (second link down the side) I
            think you will understand what she is asking here.

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 26, 2001
              cameronslayden@... wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > does anybody have any suggestion for cold-weather garb worn with yoroi?
              > for example, what would a samurai wear on a long campaign to keep warm
              > in the field?

              I don't know if this has been answered, but in inclement weather a straw
              cape called a mino is worn to shed rain or snow. It's not particularly warm,
              though. You would have to layer or perhaps line garments. That's what they
              did; and they didn't relish fighting in winter, either. <G>

              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 26, 2001
                Joyce Brown wrote:

                > greetings,
                >
                > I was wondering if someone could help me figure out
                > what a yudachi is. I found this costume I'm
                > interested in but can't quite figure out from the
                > picture what a yudachi is. also some help with more
                > detail on the kazami would be greatly appreciated.

                Yudachi is a kind of cord tying the sleeve to the body of the garment. I
                believe the term is also what was used to refer to the
                complexly-interknotted cords that attached the separated sleeves of some
                late-period dofuku to the body of the garment as well.

                Effingham
              • Elaine Koogler
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 27, 2001
                  Pardon my presumption, Master Edward, but didn't they often quit their kimono,
                  etc.? I have read in several places that the Japanese were among the first to
                  quilt their clothing.

                  Kiri

                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 27, 2001
                    Elaine Koogler wrote:

                    > Pardon my presumption, Master Edward, but didn't they often quit their kimono,
                    > etc.? I have read in several places that the Japanese were among the first to
                    > quilt their clothing.

                    Hiya!!!

                    I don't think they quilted clothing to wear, not commonly in Period at any rate.

                    They did pad some of the clothing, and did make kimono-shaped quilts (think of a
                    kimono made out of a comforter). Today, you can still buy these to sleep *under*
                    (not in); I don't doubt, though, that in period in the cold at night people might
                    slip into this thing. In some historical films and so on, you can see people in
                    winter wearing what looks like a quilted (i.e., a rather fully padded) kimono as
                    a robe, but this is worn at home and inside. I can't recall seeing people outside
                    wearing them.

                    <shrug> Maybe they were just more rugged than we are... <G>

                    Effingham
                  • Elaine Koogler
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 28, 2001
                      I guess I may have misspoken...I did mean padded...not quilted, as we think of it.
                      Although...again I have read in one of my books on costuming, that the Japanese were
                      among one of the first cultures to do the piecework/patchwork as is seen in modern
                      western quilt tops!

                      Kiri

                    • mneumark@hotmail.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 28, 2001
                        --- In sca-jml@y..., Elaine Koogler <ekoogler@c...> wrote:
                        > Pardon my presumption, Master Edward, but didn't they often quit
                        their kimono,
                        > etc.? I have read in several places that the Japanese were among
                        the first to
                        > quilt their clothing.
                        >
                        > Kiri

                        Quilting...I have a book on Sashiko that mentions sashiko was used
                        originally on firemen's clothing in a quilting like manner.
                        SUPPOSEDLY that is period, but sashiko itself isn't period. So,
                        thinking about this line of thought, then the Japanese probably
                        didn't quilt.

                        I'm hoping that someone can confirm if I am correct or not. I'm
                        actually starting to research Japanese quilting, and would REALLY
                        love help on this stuff.

                        --Raku
                      • mneumark@hotmail.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 28, 2001
                          --- In sca-jml@y..., Elaine Koogler <ekoogler@c...> wrote:
                          > I guess I may have misspoken...I did mean padded...not quilted, as
                          we think of it.
                          > Although...again I have read in one of my books on costuming, that
                          the Japanese were
                          > among one of the first cultures to do the piecework/patchwork as is
                          seen in modern
                          > western quilt tops!

                          You know, I was on Steffan's Florgium looking over quilt stuff, and I
                          think that europe was first with "crazy quilts". It said in there
                          that crazy quilts were period, but I've NEVER seen any books or
                          anything else ever referrence quilting was period either. Of course,
                          I only started to look at the stuff and not all that deeply (yet).

                          I have a book called "Omiyage" (I think) which is patchwork like
                          little bags. It's mentioned that in period, the peasant class used
                          to make little bags (the size of marble bags) and give them as gifts
                          to their shogun/royality. I'm not sure if this is the case or not
                          (Edward?) but the book is SO cool and has little bags that are in the
                          shape of flowers, birds, fish and all sorts of other sewing
                          projects. I'm thinking of making some anyhow for gifts. What the
                          heq, huh? If they were period, it would be a PLUS for sure.

                          Sashiko, (yeah, I like sashiko) isn't period, but blackwork IS, and I
                          guess they both use the same sort of stitches. It's very frustrating
                          to me that sashiko isn't period...I was hoping to make a sashiko
                          table setting with a traditional ceramic tea set for Caid's
                          Pentathlon in two years, but it isn't period. WAH!!!!

                          --Raku