New to the list with a question

  • cameronslayden@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 13, 2001
      Hello,

      does anybody have any suggestion for cold-weather garb worn with yoroi?
      for example, what would a samurai wear on a long campaign to keep warm
      in the field?

      Many thanks,

      -c
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 13, 2001

        Greetings from Solveig! Straw boots, straw cloaks, &c. Also, Winter
        warfare can be somewhat limited. Finally, wafuku (Japnese clothing)
        is remarkably warm.

        | techie.com, msn.com |
      • kmeg@nb.net
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 13, 2001
          Greetings all!

          Some of you will have already gotten e-mail from me about this
          but ...

          1) A friend from Seattle sent me this: "Friday Night at 7:00 p.m.
          step out your door, stop your car, or step out of your establishment
          and light a candle. We will show the world that Americans are strong
          and united together against terrorism. Please pass this to everyone
          on your e-mail list. We need to reach everyone across the United
          States quickly. The message: WE STAND UNITED - WE WILL NOT TOLERATE
          TERRORISM!"

          2)"To show support for our country and honor the victims and their
          families, Jo-Ann Stores, Inc. will be giving away red-white-and-blue
          ribbons at all of our Jo-Ann Fabrics and Crafts and Jo-Ann etc stores
          across the nation this Saturday and Sunday. The free ribbons will be
          available at all 990 stores and will come with instructions for
          crafting either a unity ribbon lapel pin or bracelet."

          Cecily of Whitehaven
          Hatamoto, Clan Yama Kaminari
          (MKA: Karen Guth)
        • Joyce Brown
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 14, 2001
            greetings,

            I was wondering if someone could help me figure out
            what a yudachi is. I found this costume I'm
            interested in but can't quite figure out from the
            picture what a yudachi is. also some help with more
            detail on the kazami would be greatly appreciated.

            http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/wayou/index.htm

            thank you in advance
            in service
            viola carara

          • Joyce Brown
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 14, 2001
              > greetings,

              for give me for sending this again, but I am still
              very new at these computer things.

              I'm afraid the address I gave brings up the whole
              list instead of the single photo--- the costume I
              refer to is the second one on the list --young girl in
              everyday wear, called "kazami" --- I'm afraid I do not
              know how to bring up just the one photo.

              > I was wondering if someone could help me figure out
              > what a yudachi is. I found this costume I'm
              > interested in but can't quite figure out from the
              > picture what a yudachi is. also some help with
              > more
              > detail on the kazami would be greatly appreciated.

              http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/wayou/index.htm

              > thank you in advance (again)
              > in service
              > viola carara

            • Ii Saburou
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 14, 2001
                On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Joyce Brown wrote:

                > > greetings,
                >
                > for give me for sending this again, but I am still
                > very new at these computer things.
                >
                > I'm afraid the address I gave brings up the whole
                > list instead of the single photo--- the costume I
                > refer to is the second one on the list --young girl in
                > everyday wear, called "kazami" --- I'm afraid I do not
                > know how to bring up just the one photo.

                That's alright, I think I know what you are talking about.

                Looking at it, I would tend to think that it is talking about the string
                at the shoulders. What I'm having trouble distinguishing is whether that
                cord is tied at the shoulders or part of the item the young lady is
                carrying in her hands. Perhaps someone else will know, but it looks like
                a string on the top of the sleeves--not sure if there would be one or two.

                -Ii
              • Barbara Nostrand
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 15, 2001

                  Greetings from Solveig! A kazami is a light outer robe made out
                  of silk which could be of either straight or twill weave worn by
                  young women.

                  What is the context for yudachi?

                  | techie.com, msn.com |
                • Ii Saburou
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 16, 2001
                    On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                    > What is the context for yudachi?

                    The web page that was pointed to had a diagram of the garments. What
                    appears to have been a himo at the shoulder (it was white on a white
                    background, so hard to see in the actual picture) is pointed out in the
                    diagram as a 'yudachi' with no kanji given on the Japanese version of the
                    page.

                    If you check out the link she pointed to (second link down the side) I
                    think you will understand what she is asking here.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 26, 2001
                      cameronslayden@... wrote:

                      > Hello,
                      >
                      > does anybody have any suggestion for cold-weather garb worn with yoroi?
                      > for example, what would a samurai wear on a long campaign to keep warm
                      > in the field?

                      I don't know if this has been answered, but in inclement weather a straw
                      cape called a mino is worn to shed rain or snow. It's not particularly warm,
                      though. You would have to layer or perhaps line garments. That's what they
                      did; and they didn't relish fighting in winter, either. <G>

                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 26, 2001
                        Joyce Brown wrote:

                        > greetings,
                        >
                        > I was wondering if someone could help me figure out
                        > what a yudachi is. I found this costume I'm
                        > interested in but can't quite figure out from the
                        > picture what a yudachi is. also some help with more
                        > detail on the kazami would be greatly appreciated.

                        Yudachi is a kind of cord tying the sleeve to the body of the garment. I
                        believe the term is also what was used to refer to the
                        complexly-interknotted cords that attached the separated sleeves of some
                        late-period dofuku to the body of the garment as well.

                        Effingham
                      • Elaine Koogler
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 27, 2001
                          Pardon my presumption, Master Edward, but didn't they often quit their kimono,
                          etc.? I have read in several places that the Japanese were among the first to
                          quilt their clothing.

                          Kiri

                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 27, 2001
                            Elaine Koogler wrote:

                            > Pardon my presumption, Master Edward, but didn't they often quit their kimono,
                            > etc.? I have read in several places that the Japanese were among the first to
                            > quilt their clothing.

                            Hiya!!!

                            I don't think they quilted clothing to wear, not commonly in Period at any rate.

                            They did pad some of the clothing, and did make kimono-shaped quilts (think of a
                            kimono made out of a comforter). Today, you can still buy these to sleep *under*
                            (not in); I don't doubt, though, that in period in the cold at night people might
                            slip into this thing. In some historical films and so on, you can see people in
                            winter wearing what looks like a quilted (i.e., a rather fully padded) kimono as
                            a robe, but this is worn at home and inside. I can't recall seeing people outside
                            wearing them.

                            <shrug> Maybe they were just more rugged than we are... <G>

                            Effingham
                          • Elaine Koogler
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 28, 2001
                              I guess I may have misspoken...I did mean padded...not quilted, as we think of it.
                              Although...again I have read in one of my books on costuming, that the Japanese were
                              among one of the first cultures to do the piecework/patchwork as is seen in modern
                              western quilt tops!

                              Kiri

                            • mneumark@hotmail.com
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 28, 2001
                                --- In sca-jml@y..., Elaine Koogler <ekoogler@c...> wrote:
                                > Pardon my presumption, Master Edward, but didn't they often quit
                                their kimono,
                                > etc.? I have read in several places that the Japanese were among
                                the first to
                                > quilt their clothing.
                                >
                                > Kiri

                                Quilting...I have a book on Sashiko that mentions sashiko was used
                                originally on firemen's clothing in a quilting like manner.
                                SUPPOSEDLY that is period, but sashiko itself isn't period. So,
                                thinking about this line of thought, then the Japanese probably
                                didn't quilt.

                                I'm hoping that someone can confirm if I am correct or not. I'm
                                actually starting to research Japanese quilting, and would REALLY
                                love help on this stuff.

                                --Raku
                              • mneumark@hotmail.com
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 28, 2001
                                  --- In sca-jml@y..., Elaine Koogler <ekoogler@c...> wrote:
                                  > I guess I may have misspoken...I did mean padded...not quilted, as
                                  we think of it.
                                  > Although...again I have read in one of my books on costuming, that
                                  the Japanese were
                                  > among one of the first cultures to do the piecework/patchwork as is
                                  seen in modern
                                  > western quilt tops!

                                  You know, I was on Steffan's Florgium looking over quilt stuff, and I
                                  think that europe was first with "crazy quilts". It said in there
                                  that crazy quilts were period, but I've NEVER seen any books or
                                  anything else ever referrence quilting was period either. Of course,
                                  I only started to look at the stuff and not all that deeply (yet).

                                  I have a book called "Omiyage" (I think) which is patchwork like
                                  little bags. It's mentioned that in period, the peasant class used
                                  to make little bags (the size of marble bags) and give them as gifts
                                  to their shogun/royality. I'm not sure if this is the case or not
                                  (Edward?) but the book is SO cool and has little bags that are in the
                                  shape of flowers, birds, fish and all sorts of other sewing
                                  projects. I'm thinking of making some anyhow for gifts. What the
                                  heq, huh? If they were period, it would be a PLUS for sure.

                                  Sashiko, (yeah, I like sashiko) isn't period, but blackwork IS, and I
                                  guess they both use the same sort of stitches. It's very frustrating
                                  to me that sashiko isn't period...I was hoping to make a sashiko
                                  table setting with a traditional ceramic tea set for Caid's
                                  Pentathlon in two years, but it isn't period. WAH!!!!

                                  --Raku