Re: [SCA-JML] heraldry stuff

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 12, 2001

      Greetings from Solveig! Alas, pretty much all of the English language
      books and a lot of the Japanese books on kamon treat them as art and
      not as a matter of serious historical study. Last I heard, passing a
      new charge requires rather more than simply three sources. The problem
      has to do with the way in which the CoA treats charges in general. You
      will do better to determine what the charge represents, document it
      in Western Europe in at least three different countries and then use
      the Japanese depiction under the artistic license approach to things.
      Kamakura is just fine for documentation. Just use the end date for
      the Kamakura period. Another problem is that glyphs are pretty much
      banned by the Rules for Submission of the College of Arms.

      However, the College of Arms may have warmed up a bit to the idea of
      Japanese armoury in the last few years, and I am supposeably working
      on an article about pre-modern Japanese kamon.