heraldry stuff

  • Taira no Akiyo
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 12, 2001
      My boyfriend is a herald (with a German persona but at Japanese
      stomach) and he is looking to expand his collection of books. He
      wants suggestions of books in English that can be used to document
      Japanese charges. I have a copy of Japanese Design Motifs but that's
      just for picture ideas. We're looking to pick up a copy of The
      Elements of Japanese Design. The main reason we need this info is
      because I'm thinking of having koto ji on my device and passing a new
      charge requires at least 3 different sources. We looked at a copy of
      Elements of Japanese Design at Borders this past weekend and it says
      that some families used the koto ji design/motif on their mon but it
      doesn't cite what families and only says Kamakura (he says he'd
      prefer if they had actual dates rather than the period name) for the
      time period that it was first used. Also, the references that the
      book lists are mostly in Japanese and out of print. Give me a couple
      of years and I may be able to get back up to the proficiency
      necessary to read parts of those books but at the moment my nihongo
      is very rusty. Any help would be appreciated.

      Dommo,
      Akiyo
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 12, 2001

        Greetings from Solveig! Alas, pretty much all of the English language
        books and a lot of the Japanese books on kamon treat them as art and
        not as a matter of serious historical study. Last I heard, passing a
        new charge requires rather more than simply three sources. The problem
        has to do with the way in which the CoA treats charges in general. You
        will do better to determine what the charge represents, document it
        in Western Europe in at least three different countries and then use
        the Japanese depiction under the artistic license approach to things.
        Kamakura is just fine for documentation. Just use the end date for
        the Kamakura period. Another problem is that glyphs are pretty much
        banned by the Rules for Submission of the College of Arms.

        However, the College of Arms may have warmed up a bit to the idea of
        Japanese armoury in the last few years, and I am supposeably working
        on an article about pre-modern Japanese kamon.