[SCA-JML] Re: yojimbo

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 12, 2001
      Noble Cousin!

      Greetings from Solveig! Your solution is really very simple. You are
      a vassal of this squire. He is a vassal of his knight. You might be
      interested to know that I prefer to call knights "busho" which means
      general. Regardless, you appear to be in a state of vassalage. Which
      is wonderfully appropriate. You are not a "masterless samurai" you
      are employed! Try Hard!

      | techie.com, msn.com |
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 12, 2001
        mgiard@... wrote:

        > Konnichi Wah Effingham -dono!
        >
        > > As to "man at arms" -- it depends. What do *you* mean by "man at
        > arms"?
        > > Someone who carries a weapon, a guard, a retainer, what? The term
        > is rather
        > > vague.
        >
        > Ok, I'm member of a small sca fighting household(not even
        > official). Our household leader is a squire for now( Lord Morgan
        > MacGowan) and we try to add some roleplaying flavor in our household.
        > So everyone in the household try to add a personal/cultural flavor of
        > his implication in our household
        > The other members, like me, are all but men-at-arms of our leader.
        > We help him to set up for combat, we share special combat manoeuvers,
        > we train as a small melee unit under command of our leader, etc... We
        > help him being someday knighted and, in return he help up someday
        > being squired...
        > The term "squire" or "retainer" would be better... I know there is
        > no such thing as a squire in feudal japan... But may be a
        > equivalent "job description"...
        >
        > By the way, forgive my english mispellings and mistakes, I'm
        > francophone... Trying to write engligh and pretending being
        > japanese... ;-)
        >
        > Thank you very much for you help!

        Then the term you want is "kinjou" (better, "kinjo" with a macron on the
        "O").