Clothing suggestions

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11, 2001
      I feel I should start this out with a prayer for all of those affected by
      the tragedy today. On the other hand, I'm trying to do something other
      than sit around and watch the reports and wait to be told it's time to go
      back to work because, well, then it feels like we've given them even more
      than they've already taken from us.

      And so I'm on to a new project, specifically looking at
      http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukusyoku/busou/33.htm

      I'm thinking of trying to do something like this and a Portugese outfit as
      well--this or the latter I am thinking of using to start rapier, with
      whatever modifications might need to be made.

      What I'm reading seems to indicate that the outfit consists of a ruff, a
      kosode, a sleeveless haori, and a sword obi.

      My first question is whether or not they would have worn hakama with this
      outfit. The second is whether or not there really is only one kosode, or
      whether it should more appropriately be made with two.

      Finally, what do you think is a good material to use here.

      For myself, I would tend to feel that there probably wasn't hakama (or
      maybe han-bakama?) but at the same time, I don't imagine this was supposed
      to be much of a 'physical' outfit. It seems mostly for going to church,
      if I properly read the description.

      Other thoughts?

      I'm also considering a blend of kosode, hakama, and a Portugese vest and
      ruff. Do you think that would be a plausible 'fadish' combo?

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 12, 2001
        Ii Saburou wrote:

        > I feel I should start this out with a prayer for all of those affected by
        > the tragedy today. On the other hand, I'm trying to do something other
        > than sit around and watch the reports and wait to be told it's time to go
        > back to work because, well, then it feels like we've given them even more
        > than they've already taken from us.
        >
        > And so I'm on to a new project, specifically looking at
        > http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukusyoku/busou/33.htm

        You're a very sick puppy. <G>

        I've thought about doing it myself...

        > I'm thinking of trying to do something like this and a Portugese outfit as
        > well--this or the latter I am thinking of using to start rapier, with
        > whatever modifications might need to be made.
        >
        > What I'm reading seems to indicate that the outfit consists of a ruff, a
        > kosode, a sleeveless haori, and a sword obi.
        >
        > My first question is whether or not they would have worn hakama with this
        > outfit. The second is whether or not there really is only one kosode, or
        > whether it should more appropriately be made with two.

        I don't see why not. This particular figure is based on, IIRC, a statue of
        Amakusa no Shiro, the putative commander (okay, the inspirational kid figure)
        of the Shimabara Rebellion, which itself is based on older illustrations of
        Christian samurai types in general. There should be two kosode, of course,
        the "over" one and the T-shirt model.

        > Finally, what do you think is a good material to use here.

        Silk? Hemp? Linen? Possibly even fine wool or solid cotton (as Christians
        could get the cool imported stuff).

        > I'm also considering a blend of kosode, hakama, and a Portugese vest
        > andruff. Do you think that would be a plausible 'fadish' combo?

        Sounds appropriately faddish for me. <G>