Re: [SCA-JML] Re: yojimbo

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 9, 2001
      roningold@... wrote:

      > I would recomend 'Bushi' as the correct term to use. It was the most
      > common reference to a 'man-at-arms' that had no status as a samurai
      > or samurai's retainer.

      Well, actually, historically speaking, bushi *were* samurai.

      There are various terms to describe retainers and the like (kinjuu, koshou,
      etc.) but the exact term depends on the job description.

      Effingham
    • mgiard@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 11, 2001
        Konnichi Wah Effingham -dono!

        > As to "man at arms" -- it depends. What do *you* mean by "man at
        arms"?
        > Someone who carries a weapon, a guard, a retainer, what? The term
        is rather
        > vague.

        Ok, I'm member of a small sca fighting household(not even
        official). Our household leader is a squire for now( Lord Morgan
        MacGowan) and we try to add some roleplaying flavor in our household.
        So everyone in the household try to add a personal/cultural flavor of
        his implication in our household
        The other members, like me, are all but men-at-arms of our leader.
        We help him to set up for combat, we share special combat manoeuvers,
        we train as a small melee unit under command of our leader, etc... We
        help him being someday knighted and, in return he help up someday
        being squired...
        The term "squire" or "retainer" would be better... I know there is
        no such thing as a squire in feudal japan... But may be a
        equivalent "job description"...

        By the way, forgive my english mispellings and mistakes, I'm
        francophone... Trying to write engligh and pretending being
        japanese... ;-)

        Thank you very much for you help!

        Ja'mata!

        Fukushima Masanari Hanzo
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 12, 2001

          Greetings from Solveig! Your solution is really very simple. You are
          a vassal of this squire. He is a vassal of his knight. You might be
          interested to know that I prefer to call knights "busho" which means
          general. Regardless, you appear to be in a state of vassalage. Which
          is wonderfully appropriate. You are not a "masterless samurai" you
          are employed! Try Hard!

          | techie.com, msn.com |
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 12, 2001
            mgiard@... wrote:

            > Konnichi Wah Effingham -dono!
            >
            > > As to "man at arms" -- it depends. What do *you* mean by "man at
            > arms"?
            > > Someone who carries a weapon, a guard, a retainer, what? The term
            > is rather
            > > vague.
            >
            > Ok, I'm member of a small sca fighting household(not even
            > official). Our household leader is a squire for now( Lord Morgan
            > MacGowan) and we try to add some roleplaying flavor in our household.
            > So everyone in the household try to add a personal/cultural flavor of
            > his implication in our household
            > The other members, like me, are all but men-at-arms of our leader.
            > We help him to set up for combat, we share special combat manoeuvers,
            > we train as a small melee unit under command of our leader, etc... We
            > help him being someday knighted and, in return he help up someday
            > being squired...
            > The term "squire" or "retainer" would be better... I know there is
            > no such thing as a squire in feudal japan... But may be a
            > equivalent "job description"...
            >
            > By the way, forgive my english mispellings and mistakes, I'm
            > francophone... Trying to write engligh and pretending being
            > japanese... ;-)
            >
            > Thank you very much for you help!

            Then the term you want is "kinjou" (better, "kinjo" with a macron on the
            "O").