Re: [SCA-JML] Tabi question

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 9, 2001
      Ii Saburou wrote:

      > What materials were tabi usually made out of? All leather? Leather with
      > silk uppers?

      Tabi qua tabi came about exclusively for folks with rank, and were deerskin.
      I don't think they became fabric until the Edo period, though they might
      have been silk-lined. (I'd hate the thought of putting on wet leather socks.
      Ick.)

      Effingham
    • bun-ami
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 10, 2001
        >Ii Saburou wrote:
        >
        >> What materials were tabi usually made out of? All leather? Leather with
        >> silk uppers?
        >>

        >Tabi qua tabi came about exclusively for folks with rank, and were deerskin.
        >I don't think they became fabric until the Edo period, though they might
        >have been silk-lined. (I'd hate the thought of putting on wet leather socks.
        >Ick.)
        >
        >Effingham

        Was this also the same tabi worn in 14th century saragaku/Noh? Or was the translation into tabi referring to something else?

        Bun-ami