Re: [SCA-JML] yojimbo

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 9, 2001

      Greetings from Solveig! Yojinbo does not show up in my larger kogojiten.
      The movie is set in the mid 19th century. What are you trying to do with
      the "title" you are working on? Maybe you are looking for "retainer" or
      some similar concept?

      Your Humble Survant
      | techie.com, msn.com |
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 9, 2001
        mgiard@... wrote:

        > I would like to know if the term "yojimbo" is period (SCA) I'm
        > searching for a nippon version of the "men at arms" pseudo-unofficial-
        > title... Is there another period nippon term that will fit better?

        It doesn't show in my kogo jiten...

        For the record, it has connotations similar to "hired gun" in the Japanese
        vernacular, so it's not exactly a term of respect. It's a job description to
        be sure, but not an elite one. <G>

        As to "man at arms" -- it depends. What do *you* mean by "man at arms"?
        Someone who carries a weapon, a guard, a retainer, what? The term is rather
        vague.

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 9, 2001
          roningold@... wrote:

          > I would recomend 'Bushi' as the correct term to use. It was the most
          > common reference to a 'man-at-arms' that had no status as a samurai
          > or samurai's retainer.

          Well, actually, historically speaking, bushi *were* samurai.

          There are various terms to describe retainers and the like (kinjuu, koshou,
          etc.) but the exact term depends on the job description.

          Effingham
        • mgiard@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 11, 2001
            Konnichi Wah Effingham -dono!

            > As to "man at arms" -- it depends. What do *you* mean by "man at
            arms"?
            > Someone who carries a weapon, a guard, a retainer, what? The term
            is rather
            > vague.

            Ok, I'm member of a small sca fighting household(not even
            official). Our household leader is a squire for now( Lord Morgan
            MacGowan) and we try to add some roleplaying flavor in our household.
            So everyone in the household try to add a personal/cultural flavor of
            his implication in our household
            The other members, like me, are all but men-at-arms of our leader.
            We help him to set up for combat, we share special combat manoeuvers,
            we train as a small melee unit under command of our leader, etc... We
            help him being someday knighted and, in return he help up someday
            being squired...
            The term "squire" or "retainer" would be better... I know there is
            no such thing as a squire in feudal japan... But may be a
            equivalent "job description"...

            By the way, forgive my english mispellings and mistakes, I'm
            francophone... Trying to write engligh and pretending being
            japanese... ;-)

            Thank you very much for you help!

            Ja'mata!

            Fukushima Masanari Hanzo
          • Barbara Nostrand
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 12, 2001

              Greetings from Solveig! Your solution is really very simple. You are
              a vassal of this squire. He is a vassal of his knight. You might be
              interested to know that I prefer to call knights "busho" which means
              general. Regardless, you appear to be in a state of vassalage. Which
              is wonderfully appropriate. You are not a "masterless samurai" you
              are employed! Try Hard!

              | techie.com, msn.com |
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 12, 2001
                mgiard@... wrote:

                > Konnichi Wah Effingham -dono!
                >
                > > As to "man at arms" -- it depends. What do *you* mean by "man at
                > arms"?
                > > Someone who carries a weapon, a guard, a retainer, what? The term
                > is rather
                > > vague.
                >
                > Ok, I'm member of a small sca fighting household(not even
                > official). Our household leader is a squire for now( Lord Morgan
                > MacGowan) and we try to add some roleplaying flavor in our household.
                > So everyone in the household try to add a personal/cultural flavor of
                > his implication in our household
                > The other members, like me, are all but men-at-arms of our leader.
                > We help him to set up for combat, we share special combat manoeuvers,
                > we train as a small melee unit under command of our leader, etc... We
                > help him being someday knighted and, in return he help up someday
                > being squired...
                > The term "squire" or "retainer" would be better... I know there is
                > no such thing as a squire in feudal japan... But may be a
                > equivalent "job description"...
                >
                > By the way, forgive my english mispellings and mistakes, I'm
                > francophone... Trying to write engligh and pretending being
                > japanese... ;-)
                >
                > Thank you very much for you help!

                Then the term you want is "kinjou" (better, "kinjo" with a macron on the
                "O").