yojimbo

  • mgiard@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 7, 2001
      Konnichi Wah Nippon-knowledgefull-fellows!

      I would like to know if the term "yojimbo" is period (SCA) I'm
      searching for a nippon version of the "men at arms" pseudo-unofficial-
      title... Is there another period nippon term that will fit better?

      Domo arigato gozaimas
      Ja'mata!

      Fukushima Masanari Hanzo
      Havre des Glaces Barony
    • roningold@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 8, 2001
        I would recomend 'Bushi' as the correct term to use. It was the most
        common reference to a 'man-at-arms' that had no status as a samurai
        or samurai's retainer.

        Still dreaming,
        Taro O'bake (sake-man..)
        Goldenrod of Adtenvelt

        --- In sca-jml@y..., mgiard@h... wrote:
        > Konnichi Wah Nippon-knowledgefull-fellows!
        >
        > I would like to know if the term "yojimbo" is period (SCA) I'm
        > searching for a nippon version of the "men at arms" pseudo-
        unofficial-
        > title... Is there another period nippon term that will fit better?
        >
        > Domo arigato gozaimas
        > Ja'mata!
        >
        > Fukushima Masanari Hanzo
        > Havre des Glaces Barony
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 9, 2001

          Greetings from Solveig! Yojinbo does not show up in my larger kogojiten.
          The movie is set in the mid 19th century. What are you trying to do with
          the "title" you are working on? Maybe you are looking for "retainer" or
          some similar concept?

          Your Humble Survant
          | techie.com, msn.com |
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 9, 2001
            mgiard@... wrote:

            > I would like to know if the term "yojimbo" is period (SCA) I'm
            > searching for a nippon version of the "men at arms" pseudo-unofficial-
            > title... Is there another period nippon term that will fit better?

            It doesn't show in my kogo jiten...

            For the record, it has connotations similar to "hired gun" in the Japanese
            vernacular, so it's not exactly a term of respect. It's a job description to
            be sure, but not an elite one. <G>

            As to "man at arms" -- it depends. What do *you* mean by "man at arms"?
            Someone who carries a weapon, a guard, a retainer, what? The term is rather
            vague.

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 9, 2001
              roningold@... wrote:

              > I would recomend 'Bushi' as the correct term to use. It was the most
              > common reference to a 'man-at-arms' that had no status as a samurai
              > or samurai's retainer.

              Well, actually, historically speaking, bushi *were* samurai.

              There are various terms to describe retainers and the like (kinjuu, koshou,
              etc.) but the exact term depends on the job description.

              Effingham
            • mgiard@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 11, 2001
                Konnichi Wah Effingham -dono!

                > As to "man at arms" -- it depends. What do *you* mean by "man at
                arms"?
                > Someone who carries a weapon, a guard, a retainer, what? The term
                is rather
                > vague.

                Ok, I'm member of a small sca fighting household(not even
                official). Our household leader is a squire for now( Lord Morgan
                MacGowan) and we try to add some roleplaying flavor in our household.
                So everyone in the household try to add a personal/cultural flavor of
                his implication in our household
                The other members, like me, are all but men-at-arms of our leader.
                We help him to set up for combat, we share special combat manoeuvers,
                we train as a small melee unit under command of our leader, etc... We
                help him being someday knighted and, in return he help up someday
                being squired...
                The term "squire" or "retainer" would be better... I know there is
                no such thing as a squire in feudal japan... But may be a
                equivalent "job description"...

                By the way, forgive my english mispellings and mistakes, I'm
                francophone... Trying to write engligh and pretending being
                japanese... ;-)

                Thank you very much for you help!

                Ja'mata!

                Fukushima Masanari Hanzo
              • Barbara Nostrand
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 12, 2001

                  Greetings from Solveig! Your solution is really very simple. You are
                  a vassal of this squire. He is a vassal of his knight. You might be
                  interested to know that I prefer to call knights "busho" which means
                  general. Regardless, you appear to be in a state of vassalage. Which
                  is wonderfully appropriate. You are not a "masterless samurai" you
                  are employed! Try Hard!

                  | techie.com, msn.com |
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 12, 2001
                    mgiard@... wrote:

                    > Konnichi Wah Effingham -dono!
                    >
                    > > As to "man at arms" -- it depends. What do *you* mean by "man at
                    > arms"?
                    > > Someone who carries a weapon, a guard, a retainer, what? The term
                    > is rather
                    > > vague.
                    >
                    > Ok, I'm member of a small sca fighting household(not even
                    > official). Our household leader is a squire for now( Lord Morgan
                    > MacGowan) and we try to add some roleplaying flavor in our household.
                    > So everyone in the household try to add a personal/cultural flavor of
                    > his implication in our household
                    > The other members, like me, are all but men-at-arms of our leader.
                    > We help him to set up for combat, we share special combat manoeuvers,
                    > we train as a small melee unit under command of our leader, etc... We
                    > help him being someday knighted and, in return he help up someday
                    > being squired...
                    > The term "squire" or "retainer" would be better... I know there is
                    > no such thing as a squire in feudal japan... But may be a
                    > equivalent "job description"...
                    >
                    > By the way, forgive my english mispellings and mistakes, I'm
                    > francophone... Trying to write engligh and pretending being
                    > japanese... ;-)
                    >
                    > Thank you very much for you help!

                    Then the term you want is "kinjou" (better, "kinjo" with a macron on the
                    "O").