Re: Yumi's contact info

  • echo@imap.pitt.edu
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 6, 2001
      That was me. Thanks for the address. I ordered a yumi from him and
      need to get in contact with him about getting it.
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 7, 2001
        What materials were tabi usually made out of? All leather? Leather with
        silk uppers?

        I'm trying to make myself a pair, but realized that I hadn't really
        considered what they were made out of before.

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 9, 2001
          Ii Saburou wrote:

          > What materials were tabi usually made out of? All leather? Leather with
          > silk uppers?

          Tabi qua tabi came about exclusively for folks with rank, and were deerskin.
          I don't think they became fabric until the Edo period, though they might
          have been silk-lined. (I'd hate the thought of putting on wet leather socks.
          Ick.)

          Effingham
        • bun-ami
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 10, 2001
            >Ii Saburou wrote:
            >
            >> What materials were tabi usually made out of? All leather? Leather with
            >> silk uppers?
            >>

            >Tabi qua tabi came about exclusively for folks with rank, and were deerskin.
            >I don't think they became fabric until the Edo period, though they might
            >have been silk-lined. (I'd hate the thought of putting on wet leather socks.
            >Ick.)
            >
            >Effingham

            Was this also the same tabi worn in 14th century saragaku/Noh? Or was the translation into tabi referring to something else?

            Bun-ami