Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese event poll

  • Nate Ledbetter
    Message 1 of 46 , Aug 30, 2001
      Or what about a fan on a pole, a la Ichi-no-tani?

      Shonaigawa

      http://im.yahoo.com
    • kujika@aol.com
      Message 46 of 46 , Sep 17, 2001
        at Sanjusangendo (the main hall of the temple Rengeoin in Kyoto) in which warriors would compete in archery to see who had the greatest physical and mental strength.They would try to shoot arrows through the length of the long, narrow hall--2.2 meters (2.4 yards) wide, 5 meters (5.5 yards) high, and 120 meters (131 yards) long--without hitting the walls, floor, or ceiling. What's more, each contestant would have to spend an entire day and night shooting arrows in sitting position.

        Warriors who were confident of their archery skills would enter the contest and compete to see who could make the most good shots. The best archer in toshiya was Wasa Daihachiro of the Kishu clan, who took 13,053 shots in a single contest, out of which 8,133 were successful.

        At Kyoto's Sanjusangendo, where the toshiya contests were once held, a national tournament takes place every year on Coming-of-Age Day (January 15) in which each archer aims several arrows at a target 60 meters (66 yards) away. Over 1,000 people participate in the contest each year.