[SCA-JML] Re: Japanese Tents (grump)

  • nostrand@acm.org
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 21, 1999

      I have some matterial about tents as well including evidence
      concerning where and for what they were used. The CA editor
      will not publish any of this along with other stuff of the
      miscellany sort. I have asked and been told so. (Basically
      Baron Edward's earlier issue blocks anything newley
      discovered. The same thing applies to the poetry omnimbus
      which got Japanese poetry wrong.) Sorry for grumping, but
      this sort of thing bothers me. (Note. I have stuff more
      recent than my 4 page article on Japanese outdoor life.
      However, I have dispaired of having any of it appear in CA.)

    • nostrand@acm.org
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 21, 1999

        There was a long standing dispute over whether SCA period should end
        at 1600 or 1650. Quite a few members still contend that the cut off
        should be 1650. The BoD ruled that the cut-off would be 1600. People
        generally agree that documentaiton up to 1650 can be used.

      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 21, 1999
          Baron Edward!

          Greetings from Solveig! Sorry, but the A&S community now generally
          accepts post 1600 sources. A good example of this in dance is a
          book by Caesar Negri which appeared around 1603. Other examples
          can be found in cooking. The idea is that post-1600 documentation
          can be used to document pre-1601 stuff. You need to distinguish
          between when the stuff was extant and when it was written down.

          As for post 1600 Japanese clothing and hair styles. I am very
          much in agreement with you. Clothing changed significantly during
          the Edo period. There were significant clothing and hair fads
          and what naught. (I have a rather nice history of clothing in
          the Edo period and a matching history of hair styles in the
          Edo period.)

          In Japan, by 1650 you can easily have clothing and hair that
          was unseen before 1601.

          | techie.com |
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 21, 1999
            nostrand@... wrote:

            > Noble Cousins!
            >
            > There was a long standing dispute over whether SCA period should end
            > at 1600 or 1650. Quite a few members still contend that the cut off
            > should be 1650. The BoD ruled that the cut-off would be 1600. People
            > generally agree that documentaiton up to 1650 can be used.

            Regardless, the SCA cutoff is 1600.

            Period. (so to speak. <g>)

            The only "extra" allowed was a misguided Laurel ruling years ago to allow anything first
            documented between 1600 and 1650 under the supposition that if it's first public reference was
            then, it was POSSIBLE that it first appeared earlier, IN period.

            People started using this to claim things that were documentedly INVENTED in 1600-1650 (OOP) were
            allowable in the SCA under that rule.

            I do not and will not do post period. Nor can I or will I support it.

            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 22, 1999
              Barbara Nostrand wrote:

              > Baron Edward!
              >
              > Greetings from Solveig! Sorry, but the A&S community now generally
              > accepts post 1600 sources. A good example of this in dance is a
              > book by Caesar Negri which appeared around 1603. Other examples
              > can be found in cooking. The idea is that post-1600 documentation
              > can be used to document pre-1601 stuff. You need to distinguish
              > between when the stuff was extant and when it was written down.

              That's what I'm talking about. This is the only acceptable use of
              post-period material. The trouble is when people start wanting to do post
              period things (the Edo style kataginu, for example) even though it's only
              "a little" after 1600.