Translation

  • yamashiro_kato@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2001
      Konnichiwa....

      I wonder if anyone knows of any online translation site for English
      to Japanese. I know of Babelfish, but it produces the Kanji instead
      of the romanized text to pronounce.

      Domo aragato
      -Yamashiro Kato'
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2001
        yamashiro_kato@... wrote:

        > Konnichiwa....
        >
        > I wonder if anyone knows of any online translation site for English
        > to Japanese. I know of Babelfish, but it produces the Kanji instead
        > of the romanized text to pronounce.

        The only think I know of is http://www. rikai.com but it requires an
        understanding of Japanese grammar and some basic vocabulary.

        There is no satisfactory translation software for Japanese... this is a
        topic that comes up with some frequency on the hon'yaku list.

        Effingham
      • Gara of Lions Gate
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2001
          > Konnichiwa....
          >
          > I wonder if anyone knows of any online translation site for English
          > to Japanese. I know of Babelfish, but it produces the Kanji instead
          > of the romanized text to pronounce.
          >
          > Domo aragato
          > -Yamashiro Kato'

          If you're looking to only translate words, try
          http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/dict . I find this site very handy,
          especially when I receive email from friends and don't recognize some of the
          kanji. I can then cut and paste it into the dictionary, and it will give me
          a translation for the kanji. It will also translate romaji to English and
          English to romaji/kanji.

          Gara

          p.s. there is also a new download from Microsoft which enables you to type
          in Japanese, very nifty.. I don't have a link for it right now, but I will
          try to find it if anybody is interested. It's called Microsoft Global IME
          5.0
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 26, 2001
            Carl Grasso wrote:

            > Hello everyone.
            >
            > Is there anyone who might be able to help me translate something I've written (a haiku) into
            > Japanese. I have a feeling that it will lose the proper form, so I don't want to just go with a
            > jap-eng dictionary. I'd also likely want to attempt to write it in Kanji. A close friend of mine
            > recently lost a loved one and I composed this in honor of the deceased. We want to write the haiku
            > on a plaque and place it on the grave. So if anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it.
            > Send me an e-mail if you can (sarken@...).

            For the record, translating something like a haiku *into* Japanese to maintain haiku pattern is nigh
            on impossible, given the meters of the language and so forth. Translating haiku from J to E usually
            produces only a "translation for meaning" not a "translation of form" and going the other way would
            be no different...