Re: [SCA-JML] New essay up -- Shinden-zukuri estates

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001
      Barbara Nostrand wrote:

      > Izutsu Dono!

      ????

      > Greetings from Solveig! Do you really have access to ALL of
      > the equipment and fittings?

      I'm confused... Why are you asking Izutsu-san about this? He's not here,
      y'know. <G>

      For the record, he does -- they do shrine and temple architectural bits.

      > I have aspired to live in a shinden
      > for at least a good twenty years now. If I ever manage to stop
      > moving, maybe I could acquire land for one. However, I have to
      > make it cost no more than a house of the same square footage.

      That would be the challenge.

      > This was also one of the reasons I was interested in living
      > in West Virginia where they mostly do not have building codes
      > to worry about. They don't have building codes in rural Missouri
      > either.

      If I could stand either state.... <G>

      > I believe that there is some modest importation of Japanese
      > building materials. The real expense comes in when you import
      > Japanese carpenters to put the building together.

      That's where "cheating" comes in.

      It would pretty much have to be built to Code, and that might call for some
      severe changes (structural, not cosmetic).

      One thing that might work in terms of dealing with Codes (minimum clearances
      and pathways and access and so on) is that it's a recreation of an
      historical structure -- but I don't think that sort of argument flies with
      bureaucrats.

      Fortunately, there was a time when I was an architecture major (many, many
      moons ago) and still have some of my textbooks, so I can do the research on
      what is and isn't allowed --at least in terms of structural tolerances.

      One of the "differences" would be floor-based radiant heat (the tubes
      conducting heated water) in the main areas -- the moya and hisashi -- of the
      shinden and tai no ya. Another difference would be that, although raised on
      pillars, the part of the buildings directly under these main areas would
      also be closed off (i.e., solid, rising foundations) to secure any heating
      so that cold air flowing under doesn't negate the heating. That's easy
      enough to camouflage, however, as it's set back four feet from the edges of
      the veranda, and when covered underneath with lattice work it shouldn't
      intrude as a "mundanity".

      Oh, yeah. I've been thinking a LOT about this. <G>