Re: [SCA-JML] Translation of the Knight's Oath?

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2001
      Greetings!

      I just sent this to Munenori-dono, but I thought I'd post it to the list as
      well if anyone wants to comment or make use of it:

      Tadaima yori, chûgi o chikai,
      Chûgoku no za ni keii o hyô itashisôrô.
      Ware, izutoki mo makoto no bushi ni naru koto,
      Yowaki o mamoru koto,
      Ue-sama no jûjun taru chûshin naru koto,
      Ikusa no sengun ni arawasu koto nari.
      Ware, izutoki mo reigi tadashiku
      Yûtokumono, yokimono o yôgo itashisôrô.
      Kore zentai, kono Kamiizumi Munenori isshin chikaisôrô.
      ----
      Tadaima yori, chûgi o chikai,
      From this time on, I pledge my fealty/loyalty [and]

      Chûgoku no za ni keii o hyô itashisôrô.
      I make my homage to the throne of the Middle Kingdom.

      Ware, izutoki mo makoto no bushi ni naru koto,
      I, at whatever time, will be a true warrior

      Yowaki o mamoru koto,
      will protect the weak,

      Ue-sama no jûjun taru chûshin naru koto,
      will be a true, loyal retainer,

      Ikusa no sengun ni arawasu koto nari.
      will appear in the vanguard in times of war.

      Ware, izutoki mo reigi tadashiku
      I, at whatever time, with proper courtesy,

      Yûtokumono, yokimono o yôgo itashisôrô.
      will defend the righteous and the weak.

      Kore zentai, kono Kamiizumi Munenori isshin chikaisôrô.
      [To] all of this, I, Kamiizumi Munenori, pledge with all my heart.