Re: [SCA-JML] Translation of the Knight's Oath?

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2001
      Ii Dono!

      Greetings from Solveig! There are already two Chogoku's and a
      Chubu in Japanese. Why not just reuse one of them? I doubt that
      anyone is going to swat you or the crown for doing so. The Middle
      is one of the three original kingdoms. It's unlikely that any
      of the three direction names would pass the College of Arms today.
      Since the name IS registered, you do not need to worry about
      conflict v. China or any other place. I sincerely doubt that you
      will duplicate the official name of either the PRC or the RC.

    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2001

        Greetings from Solveig! It is Chuugoku or possibly Chuushuu.
        As I recall, the -shuu names were less formal, which would
        make them less likely in a formmal setting. Please, do not
        use naka no kuni. The Japanese just did not do that. Sino-
        Japanese was culture all in capitals. If there was a Sino-
        Japanese equivalent, then it would most likely have been
        used preferentially in a court setting.

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2001
          Greetings!

          I just sent this to Munenori-dono, but I thought I'd post it to the list as
          well if anyone wants to comment or make use of it:

          Tadaima yori, chûgi o chikai,
          Chûgoku no za ni keii o hyô itashisôrô.
          Ware, izutoki mo makoto no bushi ni naru koto,
          Yowaki o mamoru koto,
          Ue-sama no jûjun taru chûshin naru koto,
          Ikusa no sengun ni arawasu koto nari.
          Ware, izutoki mo reigi tadashiku
          Yûtokumono, yokimono o yôgo itashisôrô.
          Kore zentai, kono Kamiizumi Munenori isshin chikaisôrô.
          ----
          Tadaima yori, chûgi o chikai,
          From this time on, I pledge my fealty/loyalty [and]

          Chûgoku no za ni keii o hyô itashisôrô.
          I make my homage to the throne of the Middle Kingdom.

          Ware, izutoki mo makoto no bushi ni naru koto,
          I, at whatever time, will be a true warrior

          Yowaki o mamoru koto,
          will protect the weak,

          Ue-sama no jûjun taru chûshin naru koto,
          will be a true, loyal retainer,

          Ikusa no sengun ni arawasu koto nari.
          will appear in the vanguard in times of war.

          Ware, izutoki mo reigi tadashiku
          I, at whatever time, with proper courtesy,

          Yûtokumono, yokimono o yôgo itashisôrô.
          will defend the righteous and the weak.

          Kore zentai, kono Kamiizumi Munenori isshin chikaisôrô.
          [To] all of this, I, Kamiizumi Munenori, pledge with all my heart.