Re: [SCA-JML] Translation of the Knight's Oath?

  • Nate Ledbetter
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2001
      > Ii Saburou wrote:

      > > My immediate concern in attempting something like
      > that would be how best
      > > to translate 'Middle Kingdom'? 'Chuugoku' is
      > already taken in modern
      > > Japanese, so what would you do? Midoru? That
      > doesn't sound quite right
      > > to me. Perhaps just using, 'my land' or 'my
      > country'? That would
      > > translate across borders, as well.
      > >

      > Why not? There are two provinces named Awa. There's
      > a region of Japan (as
      > well as that big country) called Chuugoku.
      >
      > I don't see a problem... <G>
      >
      > Effingham

      I suppose "Naka no kuni" would be just plain
      silliness?

      Baka na Shonaigawa

      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2001
        Ii Dono!

        Greetings from Solveig! There are already two Chogoku's and a
        Chubu in Japanese. Why not just reuse one of them? I doubt that
        anyone is going to swat you or the crown for doing so. The Middle
        is one of the three original kingdoms. It's unlikely that any
        of the three direction names would pass the College of Arms today.
        Since the name IS registered, you do not need to worry about
        conflict v. China or any other place. I sincerely doubt that you
        will duplicate the official name of either the PRC or the RC.

      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2001
          Noble Cousin!

          Greetings from Solveig! It is Chuugoku or possibly Chuushuu.
          As I recall, the -shuu names were less formal, which would
          make them less likely in a formmal setting. Please, do not
          use naka no kuni. The Japanese just did not do that. Sino-
          Japanese was culture all in capitals. If there was a Sino-
          Japanese equivalent, then it would most likely have been
          used preferentially in a court setting.

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2001
            Greetings!

            I just sent this to Munenori-dono, but I thought I'd post it to the list as
            well if anyone wants to comment or make use of it:

            Tadaima yori, chûgi o chikai,
            Chûgoku no za ni keii o hyô itashisôrô.
            Ware, izutoki mo makoto no bushi ni naru koto,
            Yowaki o mamoru koto,
            Ue-sama no jûjun taru chûshin naru koto,
            Ikusa no sengun ni arawasu koto nari.
            Ware, izutoki mo reigi tadashiku
            Yûtokumono, yokimono o yôgo itashisôrô.
            Kore zentai, kono Kamiizumi Munenori isshin chikaisôrô.
            ----
            Tadaima yori, chûgi o chikai,
            From this time on, I pledge my fealty/loyalty [and]

            Chûgoku no za ni keii o hyô itashisôrô.
            I make my homage to the throne of the Middle Kingdom.

            Ware, izutoki mo makoto no bushi ni naru koto,
            I, at whatever time, will be a true warrior

            Yowaki o mamoru koto,
            will protect the weak,

            Ue-sama no jûjun taru chûshin naru koto,
            will be a true, loyal retainer,

            Ikusa no sengun ni arawasu koto nari.
            will appear in the vanguard in times of war.

            Ware, izutoki mo reigi tadashiku
            I, at whatever time, with proper courtesy,

            Yûtokumono, yokimono o yôgo itashisôrô.
            will defend the righteous and the weak.

            Kore zentai, kono Kamiizumi Munenori isshin chikaisôrô.
            [To] all of this, I, Kamiizumi Munenori, pledge with all my heart.