Re: [SCA-JML] period Obi

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
      Jen Wallace wrote:

      > Hello All;
      >
      > I just finished making my first kosode last night, but I am now faced
      > with a new dilemma: What would an obi look like from the Muromachi Era, and
      > how would I construct one? When I say obi, I simply mean the thing to tie
      > up the kosode with; I know the big huge pillow-obi thing wasn't in style
      > till the Edo Period. BTW, is the kosode supposed to be this BIG?

      Yes. <G>

      > The part
      > where the sode attach to the migoro are right by my elbows; I didn't make
      > the migoro too wide did I? That is all for now.

      This graphic, from the Costume Museum site, shows a samurai's wife from the
      Muromachi period.

      http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukusyoku/busou/24.htm

      Note that she's wearing a second kosode as a "shield" from weather and prying
      eyes.

      This graphic ( http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukusyoku/busou/30.htm ) shows an
      upperclass samurai wife of the Azuchi-Momoyama (1573-1600) period, with an
      uchiki over the kosode. This ( http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukusyoku/busou/31.htm )
      shows how it was also worn, especially when relaxing or when the weather was
      hot.

      Effingham
    • wcbooth@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
        --- In sca-jml@y..., "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...> wrote:
        > Jen Wallace wrote:
        >
        > > Hello All;
        > >
        > > I just finished making my first kosode last night, but I am
        now faced
        > > with a new dilemma: What would an obi look like from the
        Muromachi Era, and
        > > how would I construct one? When I say obi, I simply mean the
        thing to tie
        > > up the kosode with; I know the big huge pillow-obi thing wasn't
        in style
        > > till the Edo Period. BTW, is the kosode supposed to be this BIG?
        >
        > Yes. <G>
        >
        > > The part
        > > where the sode attach to the migoro are right by my elbows; I
        didn't make
        > > the migoro too wide did I? That is all for now.

        ok.. these are great images, but not vertt helpfull in constructing
        one... and one have any patterns?

        humbly,
        Nobu
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
          wcbooth@... wrote:

          > --- In sca-jml@y..., "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...> wrote:
          > > Jen Wallace wrote:
          > >
          > > > Hello All;
          > > >
          > > > I just finished making my first kosode last night, but I am
          > now faced
          > > > with a new dilemma: What would an obi look like from the
          > Muromachi Era, and
          > > > how would I construct one? When I say obi, I simply mean the
          > thing to tie
          > > > up the kosode with; I know the big huge pillow-obi thing wasn't
          > in style
          > > > till the Edo Period. BTW, is the kosode supposed to be this BIG?
          > >
          > > Yes. <G>
          > >
          > > > The part
          > > > where the sode attach to the migoro are right by my elbows; I
          > didn't make
          > > > the migoro too wide did I? That is all for now.
          > > >

          > ok.. these are great images, but not vertt helpfull in constructing
          > one... and one have any patterns?

          Well, they're big, long rectangles, about four to six inches wide by three
          times (or so) your waist....

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 2, 2001
            Tylar Umeno wrote:

            > Ok, get a really long piece of material, at least enough to go twice
            > around your waist plus extra to tie it into whatever shape you want. Use
            > interfacing when you make it so that it's stiff because floppy obis have
            > very limited tying options. Also, you might consider making a cardboard
            > piece to put between the two layers of obi wrapped around your body for extra
            > stiffness. This piece should be wide enough that when inserted it
            > almost comes to the edges of the obi but will not be visible and long
            > enough that it covers the front of your torso. If you don't want to do the
            > interfacing and want to do something floppy get the long piece of material and make sure it's wide
            > enough to fold over and just insert the cardboard piece in the fold as
            > you are tying it. If you don't do this then the obi will begin to bunch up in the front and it
            > doesn't look very nice. Remember, we're going for the cylindrical
            > effect here. On a side note, a former baroness here found the cardboard
            > so amusing that she had some fun hitting my obi with one of those plastic
            > blow up hammer thingies during a Twelfth Night.

            Are you sure you're thinking of a *period* obi?

            They're NOT that stiff. They're just cloth ties.

            Effingham
          • wcbooth@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2001

              > Well, they're big, long rectangles, about four to six inches wide
              by three
              > times (or so) your waist....
              >

              > Effingham

              thanks for the help your excelency, but i meant how do you make a
              kosode?

              (geez, they can make pennsic, and he gets all punchy..;) )

              Nobu
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 2, 2001
                wcbooth@... wrote:

                > > Well, they're big, long rectangles, about four to six inches wide
                > by three
                > > times (or so) your waist....
                > >

                > > Effingham
                >
                > thanks for the help your excelency, but i meant how do you make a
                > kosode?

                Sorry... the subject line was obi, and I thought we were talking about
                obi... <G>

                Fujiwara no Aoi-hime has basic kosode construction info on her website,
                IIRC: http://www.reconstructinghistory.com .