New essay up -- Shinden-zukuri estates

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2001
      Greetings, all!

      As a break from sewing (dammit dammit dammit!) I've worked up the newest
      part of the website, an essay on Heian noble estates, the Shinden-zukuri.

      The URL is http://www.geocities.com/sengokudaimyo/shinden/Shinden.html

      Any feedback, positive or negative, is readily accepted! Also, if you spot
      typos or funky grammatical bits, please let me know.

      Effingham
    • bun-ami
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2001
        WOW!

        Excellent job Baron Edward. Now to find some land to actual build one!

        Bun-ami

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2001
          bun-ami wrote:

          > WOW!
          >
          > Excellent job Baron Edward.

          Thank you.

          > Now to find some land to actual build one!

          That's what Izutsu-san said. <G> We both have this fantasy about building and
          living in a shinden. He laments that he has all the equipment and fittings at
          his disposal (his company does that sort of thing) but not the land, whereas
          in America *I* can get the land, but not have the equipment. He said if I ever
          build one to let him know, because he wants in on it. <G>

          Effingham
        • Barbara Nostrand
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001
            Izutsu Dono!

            Greetings from Solveig! Do you really have access to ALL of
            the equipment and fittings? I have aspired to live in a shinden
            for at least a good twenty years now. If I ever manage to stop
            moving, maybe I could acquire land for one. However, I have to
            make it cost no more than a house of the same square footage.
            This was also one of the reasons I was interested in living
            in West Virginia where they mostly do not have building codes
            to worry about. They don't have building codes in rural Missouri
            either.

            I believe that there is some modest importation of Japanese
            building materials. The real expense comes in when you import
            Japanese carpenters to put the building together. I think that
            it may be possible to use local help. That was one of the
            attractions about the school in Rhode Island I interviewed at
            this year. They have a school of architecture. Some places have
            departments of construction. For that matter, lots of Junior
            Colleges have carpentry programs. The real problem is to find
            a place that makes a house kit with the pieces precut. Of course
            a lot of modern Japanese construction is actual out of fero-
            concreate.

            The odd thing is that American house kit manufacturers have been
            trying to develop a Japanese market while the Japanese have been
            ignoring the American market. Too bad. I would think that a fair
            number of them could be moved in the back pages of Sunset, Mother
            Jones, &c. The major architectural modification I would like to
            see is provision for central HVAC. I think that this can be
            achieved by using the sub-floor area and the roof area as an
            air plenum for a forced air system. With concrete construction,
            the air system could even be placed in the walls so as to have
            modest wall vents near the floor or ceiling.

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001
              Barbara Nostrand wrote:

              > Izutsu Dono!

              ????

              > Greetings from Solveig! Do you really have access to ALL of
              > the equipment and fittings?

              I'm confused... Why are you asking Izutsu-san about this? He's not here,
              y'know. <G>

              For the record, he does -- they do shrine and temple architectural bits.

              > I have aspired to live in a shinden
              > for at least a good twenty years now. If I ever manage to stop
              > moving, maybe I could acquire land for one. However, I have to
              > make it cost no more than a house of the same square footage.

              That would be the challenge.

              > This was also one of the reasons I was interested in living
              > in West Virginia where they mostly do not have building codes
              > to worry about. They don't have building codes in rural Missouri
              > either.

              If I could stand either state.... <G>

              > I believe that there is some modest importation of Japanese
              > building materials. The real expense comes in when you import
              > Japanese carpenters to put the building together.

              That's where "cheating" comes in.

              It would pretty much have to be built to Code, and that might call for some
              severe changes (structural, not cosmetic).

              One thing that might work in terms of dealing with Codes (minimum clearances
              and pathways and access and so on) is that it's a recreation of an
              historical structure -- but I don't think that sort of argument flies with
              bureaucrats.

              Fortunately, there was a time when I was an architecture major (many, many
              moons ago) and still have some of my textbooks, so I can do the research on
              what is and isn't allowed --at least in terms of structural tolerances.

              One of the "differences" would be floor-based radiant heat (the tubes
              conducting heated water) in the main areas -- the moya and hisashi -- of the
              shinden and tai no ya. Another difference would be that, although raised on
              pillars, the part of the buildings directly under these main areas would
              also be closed off (i.e., solid, rising foundations) to secure any heating
              so that cold air flowing under doesn't negate the heating. That's easy
              enough to camouflage, however, as it's set back four feet from the edges of
              the veranda, and when covered underneath with lattice work it shouldn't
              intrude as a "mundanity".

              Oh, yeah. I've been thinking a LOT about this. <G>