Re: [SCA-JML] Architecture--weather proofing

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 30, 2001
      Baron Edward!

      I thought my cousin already knew Spanish when he got a Fulbright to
      study Spanish dialects. That was a long time agaon and the rules may
      have changed. I think Lady Juliana got a Fulbright to study stuff
      in Costa Rica or some such place just a couple of years ago. Maybe
      you have to carefully spin things. Of course my cousin was a linguist
      (he gave up after being denied tenure at Purdue) and Juliana is an
      antoropologist. Maybe the figure that historians or people in area
      studies can stay at their home institutions.

      What really really burned me was the time that I applied for a
      Summer language study program for scientists about ten years ago.
      I was rejected. Not only that, but after being rejected, they sent
      the review forms to me. One of the reviewers calculated my age,
      circled it, and then proceeded to give me the lowest possible mark
      for ability to live in Japan, ability to learn the Japanese language,
      &c. Totally ignoring that I had lived in Japan for six years and had
      worked for an pretty much exclusively Japanese speaking company.
      Aside from the fact that I was totally unsupported that year and
      could have used the grant money over the Summer, I was also eager to
      go spend a few months in Japan and ALSO to spend my time in Narita
      learning scientific yogo. I already knew yogo for computer engineering,
      but I did not know mathical or scientific yogo. BLEH!

      One of the program administrators suggested that I reapply after
      getting the degree. Of course, the program was cancelled by the
      time I finished. BLEH!

      Good luck on your Japan Foundation application!