Re: [SCA-JML] Architecture--weather proofing

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 29, 2001
      Ii Dono!

      Greetings from Solveig! If you go to the notes section of one of
      the more common transaltions of the Pillow Book, you will encounter
      a description of what amounts to a two section veranda with one
      sort of enclosure on the inner side and another basically dividing
      the veranda lengthwise.

      Japan has had a rainy season and a typhoon season each year for over
      a thousand years.

    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 29, 2001
        Baron Edward!

        Well then. You know what sort of things to apply to the Fulbright
        people or the Japan Foundation people to do. I just wish that they
        would take an application from me seriously. I have stuff I very
        much want to do.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 29, 2001
          Barbara Nostrand wrote:

          > Baron Edward!
          >
          > Well then. You know what sort of things to apply to the Fulbright
          > people or the Japan Foundation people to do. I just wish that they
          > would take an application from me seriously. I have stuff I very
          > much want to do.

          We had the Fulbright people come through a few months ago, and several of
          the grads in my department were livid over their requirements.

          It seems that if you already speak the language or have lived there for any
          appreciable time, you can't qualify. Ironically, these are the people BEST
          qualified to do academic research. Go figure.

          Neither of us would make it, I'm afraid....

          Now, the JF people, on the other hand....

          Effingupset
        • Barbara Nostrand
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 30, 2001
            Baron Edward!

            I thought my cousin already knew Spanish when he got a Fulbright to
            study Spanish dialects. That was a long time agaon and the rules may
            have changed. I think Lady Juliana got a Fulbright to study stuff
            in Costa Rica or some such place just a couple of years ago. Maybe
            you have to carefully spin things. Of course my cousin was a linguist
            (he gave up after being denied tenure at Purdue) and Juliana is an
            antoropologist. Maybe the figure that historians or people in area
            studies can stay at their home institutions.

            What really really burned me was the time that I applied for a
            Summer language study program for scientists about ten years ago.
            I was rejected. Not only that, but after being rejected, they sent
            the review forms to me. One of the reviewers calculated my age,
            circled it, and then proceeded to give me the lowest possible mark
            for ability to live in Japan, ability to learn the Japanese language,
            &c. Totally ignoring that I had lived in Japan for six years and had
            worked for an pretty much exclusively Japanese speaking company.
            Aside from the fact that I was totally unsupported that year and
            could have used the grant money over the Summer, I was also eager to
            go spend a few months in Japan and ALSO to spend my time in Narita
            learning scientific yogo. I already knew yogo for computer engineering,
            but I did not know mathical or scientific yogo. BLEH!

            One of the program administrators suggested that I reapply after
            getting the degree. Of course, the program was cancelled by the
            time I finished. BLEH!

            Good luck on your Japan Foundation application!