Men's vs. Women's Momoyama Garb

  • elsyr@mediaone.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 23, 2001
      Konbanwa Y'all:

      This may sound like a very basic question, and in fact it is, but I am
      finding divergent answers to it ... what were the primary differences
      between men's and women's kosode/kimono and haori in the late Momoyama
      period?

      I typically make my kimono with a square sleeve, small open portion
      (on sleeve and body) at the armpit, and fully open cuffs. The
      sleeves, with arms held out to the sides, hang approximately to mid
      rib-cage level, and are of a length to reach 1/3 to 1/2 way down the
      forearm. I would be more exact, but no two have ever yet come out
      quite the same. :-)

      My hakama seem alright, with the exception of the %*!@&%$ backplate I
      put on three of them before I knew any better. Hopefully, I will have
      time to take them off before Pennsic. If not, let's hope the haori
      will cover it.

      The persona I am recreating is a late 16th century (born 1543 to be
      exact) bushi from north central Mutsu province (where I picked up an
      atrocious Trimarian accent), if that narrows things down a bit.

      Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!
      Sakurakawa no Katsushiro Sumiyori