Re: [SCA-JML] quick questions

  • logan@modzer0.cs.uaf.edu
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9, 2001
      On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Arelyx . wrote:

      > ok, gotta a couple of quick questions:
      > #1- where can i find a good pattern for kikko? the link on Effingham's
      > website is down

      Not sure I can help you here I know what the close up I've seen looks
      like, but that's about it.

      > #2-where can i find out more about traditional laquering techniques for
      > japanese armor and how well will plastic pieces accept the laquer?

      I wouldn't recommend trad. lacquer because, IIRC, it is a toxic
      concoction. If you are going to go to that much trouble, then why bother
      with plastic pieces?

      The plastic pieces in Japanese armour are suggested, as far as I've been
      told, because they simulate the lacquered leather better than any other
      source except lacquered leather.

      > #3-any recommendations as to where i can find some good patterned fabric for
      > japanese armor? Are there any specific criteria that was common to fabric
      > used in armor circa 1500's?

      Not sure here. The fabric I used was all sparse floral or geometric
      prints that I found; I couldn't easily find specific patterns that I could
      easily identify as being 'period Japanese'. There is one pattern I know
      of that I've seen however: it looks like a cross surrounded by grass, and
      it is used for modern kendou bags. If you can find what they use for
      those you might be able to find some other good patterns.