Re: [SCA-JML] Kumihimo

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2001
      L Joseph wrote:

      > Hello the list!
      >
      > A friend of mine recently picked up a book and built a
      > loom to do kumihimo braiding on. She's making some
      > very pretty cords already, but knows absolutely zip
      > about what they might be used for in period Japanese
      > clothing or other applications.

      Go here.
      http://www.geocities.com/sengokudaimyo/katchu/GRAPHICS/illos/history/oyoroi.jpg

      See all that? That's kumihimo. <G>

      Balls were made from kumihimo as were waist ties as were little ornamental
      knotthings, as were... well, Fujiwara-chama just posted a list of things to
      look at. Maybe it's just me, but when I hear someeone's taking up kumihimo,
      I just start drooling at the possibility of getting my hands on some unusual
      braid for Japanese armour purposes. <G>

      Effingham
    • L Joseph
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2001
        Thanks to Fujiwara-hime and Hiraizumi-dono for the
        info on kumihimo. I have passed it on to the lady in
        my shire.

        Jehanne de Wodeford, Rusted Woodlands (EAST)

        =====
        Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Alcyoneus
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 20, 2004
          I'm not sure about this, so would 4x2 (wrong designation??) or 2/30 silk
          yarn work okay for braiding?

          Alcyoneus