Kumihimo

  • L Joseph
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2001
      Hello the list!

      A friend of mine recently picked up a book and built a
      loom to do kumihimo braiding on. She's making some
      very pretty cords already, but knows absolutely zip
      about what they might be used for in period Japanese
      clothing or other applications.

      If anyone can suggest additional books or other
      sources, I'll pass them on.

      Many thanks,
      Jehanne de Wodeford, Rusted Woodlands (EAST)

      =====
      Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Kass McGann
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2001
        Hey!  Aren't you that Kamakura chick?  ;)

        A friend of mine recently picked up a book and built a
        loom to do kumihimo braiding on. She's making some
        very pretty cords already, but knows absolutely zip
        about what they might be used for in period Japanese
        clothing or other applications.

        If anyone can suggest additional books or other
        sources, I'll pass them on.

        Allow me:

        Carey, Jacqui.  Beginner’s Guide to Braiding.  The Craft of Kumihimo.  1997:  Search Press, Kent, England.

        Kinoshita, Masako.  The Traditional Silk Braids of Japan.  In Piecework, January/February, 1995.

        Owen, Rodrick.  Braids.  250 Patterns from Japan, Peru & Beyond.  1995:  Interweave Press, Loveland, Colorado.

        Kass

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 2, 2001
          L Joseph wrote:

          > Hello the list!
          >
          > A friend of mine recently picked up a book and built a
          > loom to do kumihimo braiding on. She's making some
          > very pretty cords already, but knows absolutely zip
          > about what they might be used for in period Japanese
          > clothing or other applications.

          Go here.
          http://www.geocities.com/sengokudaimyo/katchu/GRAPHICS/illos/history/oyoroi.jpg

          See all that? That's kumihimo. <G>

          Balls were made from kumihimo as were waist ties as were little ornamental
          knotthings, as were... well, Fujiwara-chama just posted a list of things to
          look at. Maybe it's just me, but when I hear someeone's taking up kumihimo,
          I just start drooling at the possibility of getting my hands on some unusual
          braid for Japanese armour purposes. <G>

          Effingham
        • L Joseph
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3, 2001
            Thanks to Fujiwara-hime and Hiraizumi-dono for the
            info on kumihimo. I have passed it on to the lady in
            my shire.

            Jehanne de Wodeford, Rusted Woodlands (EAST)

            =====
            Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • Alcyoneus
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 20, 2004
              I'm not sure about this, so would 4x2 (wrong designation??) or 2/30 silk
              yarn work okay for braiding?

              Alcyoneus