[SCA-JML] Re: Asian personas

  • fsjlb4
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 17, 1999
      >===== Original Message From sca-jml@egroups.com =====
      >I am interested in developing an Asian persona and would be greatful for
      >any information you can send me in that regard.
      >
      >Thanks
      >hturner2@...

      By Asian, what exactly are you looking for? There are the Mongols, from the
      steppes; the various peoples of China, of which I personally know less than
      I'd like; the Japanese, who many consider iffy in period, but for whom this
      list is a wonderful resource; or another culture? An 'Asian' persona is like
      asking for a 'European' persona; there is just too much to give a single
      description of all the cultures.

      That being said, I think that the best answers from this list are probably
      going to be regarding things Japanese. If you are looking for a Japanese
      persona you are probably looking at something in the 16th Century, during the
      Warring States Period of Japan. How specific do you want to get? Please
      correct me if I am wrong, but even at this time there are basically four
      classes of citizens: the aristocrats, the Merchants, the Peasants, and the
      Artisans (Where did priests and monks fall in this adaptation of the Confucian
      System?)

      I don't remember if any distinction was made between the samurai and 'nobles'
      in terms of their class in society, though definitely there were ranks among
      them.

      Since people are assumed to be nobles, I believe that a noble/samurai is what
      is most often chosen as a persona (occassionally with some reason for being in
      Europe, though this is not always a worry).

      There are several resources I have heard out there for name and device help;
      if you are having trouble in that regards then feel free to ask a herald.

      As for resources I don't have anything good to give out. I left my books at
      home, as I am now a bit closer to the history here in Japan. I remember
      Stephen Turnbull, but that is the only name I can pull off the top of my head.

      I wish you luck, and will help if I can, though I'm sure others on this list
      are much more qualified.

      Gambate!

      -Godric Logan aka Joshua Badgley

      PS: While I am here in Japan I am taking pictures of nearly everything they
      allow me to (Unfortunately I can't take any pictures inside many museums). I
      am going to have them put up on a website as soon as possible. If anyone
      would like pictures of anything specific in the Nagoya area, please let me
      know and I will see what I can do, though I can't promise anything.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 17, 1999
        fsjlb4 wrote:

        > PS: While I am here in Japan I am taking pictures of nearly everything they
        > allow me to (Unfortunately I can't take any pictures inside many museums). I
        > am going to have them put up on a website as soon as possible. If anyone
        > would like pictures of anything specific in the Nagoya area, please let me
        > know and I will see what I can do, though I can't promise anything.

        Are you the fella I sent that long list of Must-See museums to a few months ago?

        You HAVE to get to Nakamura Koen and visit the Hideyoshi/Kato Kiyomasa Museum.
        Very near the museum is a small temple housing a shrine dedicated to the memory
        of Kiyomasa (who was born there) and a few yards away another for Hideyoshi (who
        was born THERE.)