Japanese garb pages up

    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 25, 2001
      Greetings, all!

      Okay, this is only in the very early stages, but based on some of the feedback
      I've gotten, and the knowledge that Pennsic is coming up, I thought I should
      put this out there now.

      http://www.geocities.com/sengokudaimyo/garb/GarbHome.html

      It's very much a work in progress; many more outfits and garments will be
      added, as well as more material about sumptuary regulations and fabric and
      colors. Note that hitting links on fabrics will bring up a small swatch so you
      can see the pattern. I'll have colors up the same way soon, I hope.

      I welcome any commentary or brickbats.

      Remember, though, that it is far from complete, so before you ask "where's the
      information on eboshi?" notice that the section on headgear isn't up. <G>

      Effingham
    • wcbooth@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 25, 2001
        i think, that you have just become Gongen, Effingham-dono...

        Nobu
      • steve
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 25, 2001
          Bowing in Sazen,

          Looks like a great start, and Since I am from 1335, I am very pleased.
          Will you be addressing the garb for smalls as well? as I do have a 6yr old rug
          runner, err Tatami runner ;) Man child, that lately wants to be like daddy.

          though Personally I think the garb of his mother's persona (celtic) makes more
          sense for a small at camping events.

          Thank you

          Kyoto
        • debbie strub
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 25, 2001
            Baron Edward,

            Where were you when I started doing Japanese all those (mumble)
            years ago! Your garb pages in it's early stages fill in many gaps in my
            research. We're not worthy! We're not worthy!
            My only recommendation is to put dates on the illustrations and
            cite the reference they came from. That's for all us costumer types who
            may want to use the info for documentation.
            Will you be adding a bibliography?

            Murakami Tsuruko

            At 02:31 PM 6/25/2001 -0500, you wrote:
            >Greetings, all!
            >
            >Okay, this is only in the very early stages, but based on some of the feedback
            >I've gotten, and the knowledge that Pennsic is coming up, I thought I should
            >put this out there now.
            >
            >http://www.geocities.com/sengokudaimyo/garb/GarbHome.html
            >
            >It's very much a work in progress; many more outfits and garments will be
            >added, as well as more material about sumptuary regulations and fabric and
            >colors. Note that hitting links on fabrics will bring up a small swatch so you
            >can see the pattern. I'll have colors up the same way soon, I hope.
            >
            >I welcome any commentary or brickbats.
            >
            >Remember, though, that it is far from complete, so before you ask "where's the
            >information on eboshi?" notice that the section on headgear isn't up. <G>
            >

            >Effingham

          • Barbara Nostrand
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 25, 2001

              Greetings from Solveig! At a guess, Baron Edward is using pictures
              from the Costume Museum. The URL for the Costume Museum is at:

              http://www.iz2.or.jp/

              Your Humble SErvant
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 25, 2001
                wcbooth@... wrote:

                > i think, that you have just become Gongen, Effingham-dono...

                No, I'm just gone. <G>

                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 25, 2001
                  steve wrote:

                  > Bowing in Sazen,
                  >
                  > Looks like a great start, and Since I am from 1335, I am very pleased.
                  > Will you be addressing the garb for smalls as well?

                  You want underwear patterns, too?

                  > as I do have a 6yr old rug
                  > runner, err Tatami runner ;) Man child, that lately wants to be like daddy.

                  OH! A *child*! You know, in the middle ages, they had a word for them:
                  "children."

                  "Smalls" was medieval English slang for "skivvies."

                  (This historical terminology aside brought to you by "people who hate 'dragon'
                  for the perfectly good period word 'car'") <G>

                  And, yes, there will be kid's stuff. Hm. I should probably put them in a separate
                  chapter for munchkins. Anything you see prefaced by the word "warawa" is for
                  kids-- note that "warawa suikan" is already up, and I'll have "warawa noshi" up
                  soon. There's also an outfit called hanpi (different kanji from the vest "hanpi"
                  that is virtually identical to kariginu, only scaled down for kids, and is a
                  kid's outfit.

                  Thanks for the head's up, though, as I hadn't thought of a special section just
                  on kid's clothing, but now that I think about it, it would be good thing to have.

                  > though Personally I think the garb of his mother's persona (celtic) makes more
                  > sense for a small at camping events.

                  Ew, Celtic. Yech-ptui. <G>

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 25, 2001
                    debbie strub wrote:

                    > Baron Edward,
                    >
                    > Where were you when I started doing Japanese all those (mumble)
                    > years ago! Your garb pages in it's early stages fill in many gaps in my
                    > research. We're not worthy! We're not worthy!

                    Fmeh.

                    You're excellent! <G>

                    > My only recommendation is to put dates on the illustrations and
                    > cite the reference they came from. That's for all us costumer types who
                    > may want to use the info for documentation.

                    Good point. I usually will point out something if it's a specific variant (like
                    the Edo style kataginu and sashinuki), or describe the variation if the
                    illustration is not typical.

                    There will be another section shortly up that will put these outfits in historical
                    contexts.

                    > Will you be adding a bibliography?

                    More than you could stand. <G>

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 25, 2001
                      Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                      > Noble Cousin!
                      >
                      > Greetings from Solveig! At a guess, Baron Edward is using pictures
                      > from the Costume Museum. The URL for the Costume Museum is at:
                      >
                      > http://www.iz2.or.jp/

                      One of the great advantages of being on good terms with the owner. <G>

                      Effingham
                    • Kass McGann
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 26, 2001
                        What are smalls?

                        Kass

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 26, 2001
                          Kass McGann wrote:

                          > What are smalls? Kass
                          >
                          > Bowing in Sazen,
                          >
                          > Looks like a great start, and Since I am from 1335, I am
                          > very pleased.
                          > Will you be addressing the garb for smalls as well? as I do
                          > have a 6yr old rug
                          > runner, err Tatami runner ;) Man child, that lately wants to
                          > be like daddy.

                          Small version of adult human, man child is a hint , in this case of the
                          6 year old 'Sean' Variety

                          We have many such colorful words in the Midrelm, its a hobby that comes
                          up in areas of little cultural activity like Indiana.
                          Do you realize there isn't even one Sumo match held in this area? and
                          just try finding a Hakama Shop, and the only Kimono are for tourists.
                          its hard to live here, these people even cook their fish!

                          In Service

                          Kyoto
                        • Kass McGann
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 26, 2001
                            Small version of adult human, man child is a hint , in this case of the
                            6 year old  'Sean' Variety

                            I was being fascitious.  You sound like a nice person, Kyoto.  I didn't want to think that you were calling your children "underwear".  Why not call them children.  Or Sean...

                            Kass
                          • Barbara Nostrand
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 26, 2001

                              Greetings from Solveig! I share your grief about everything save
                              the fish. Japanese do cook their fish rather often and every fish
                              recipe in Ryorimonogatari is cooked. However, I have been the
                              Midrealm. The fish situation there can be in a word dismal.
                              About all I found there was walleye. A flavorful fish, but it
                              is best to have greater variety.

                            • steve
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 26, 2001
                                "Anthony J. Bryant" wrote:

                                > You want underwear patterns, too?

                                I already have Fundoshi, got one at Pennsic 20 or 21 when I marched in the fertility
                                rite with Duke Sir Ogami of the East, but its not a bad idea to post one too.

                                Actually Fort Wayne Indiana does have 3 Sushi bars, 2 Japanese restaurants, plus a
                                Krogers with a Chicago franchised Sushi bar in the hot food area, and 6 Asian
                                groceries. We have a large ethnic population.

                                But I guess I have to many regional terms in my vocabulary.

                                Kyoto
                              • Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 26, 2001
                                  --- In sca-jml@y..., steve <kyoto@c...> wrote:
                                  > Bowing in Sazen,
                                  >
                                  > Looks like a great start, and Since I am from 1335, I am very
                                  pleased.
                                  > Will you be addressing the garb for smalls as well? as I do have a
                                  6yr old rug
                                  > runner, err Tatami runner ;) Man child, that lately wants to be
                                  like daddy.

                                  > though Personally I think the garb of his mother's persona (celtic)
                                  makes more
                                  > sense for a small at camping events.
                                  >
                                  > Thank you
                                  >
                                  > Kyoto

                                  Yes, mom's clothes might be easier to wear as well. My 6 year old is
                                  always needing things retied.
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 26, 2001
                                    steve wrote:

                                    > Small version of adult human, man child is a hint , in this case of the
                                    > 6 year old 'Sean' Variety

                                    I think she knows that.

                                    She was suggesting, pointedly, that "smalls" is not a period word nor is
                                    period slang for child -- the medieval word being, of course, "child". <G>

                                    I personally never understood that fantasy terminology desire to come up
                                    with new words for things so they don't intrude; to my mind, drawing
                                    attention to them this way makes the term (or thing) more intrusive.

                                    The two that make me twitch most are "smalls" for "children" and "dragon"
                                    for "car," "wain," or "wagon." Either of these latter three are perfectly
                                    good period words for wheeled vehicles. It's replacing good, real historical
                                    terms with bogus pseudo-historical terms. It's bad history, bad re-enacting,
                                    and just wrong.

                                    But that's just me, I could be wrong. <G>

                                    > We have many such colorful words in the Midrelm, its a hobby that comes
                                    > up in areas of little cultural activity like Indiana.

                                    You're in Indiana? Where?

                                    > Do you realize there isn't even one Sumo match held in this area?

                                    Don't say sumo... I'm still trying to live down the pain of watching sumo on
                                    ESPN the other night, and hearing the announcer butcher one name after
                                    another, and totally mispronounce all the terminology. Couldn't they at
                                    least take some time beforehand so someone could tell him how the names are
                                    pronounced? I love sumo, but I can't watch it it's that bad (and no, sumo
                                    with no sound doesn't work, either).

                                    > and
                                    > just try finding a Hakama Shop, and the only Kimono are for tourists.
                                    > its hard to live here, these people even cook their fish!

                                    I have to wonder what a period Japanese person would have thought had he
                                    encountered good blackened Cajun catfish. <G>

                                    Effingham
                                  • Nate Ledbetter
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jun 26, 2001
                                      Out of curiosity, is anyone heading to Fort Knox, KY
                                      this weekend for Border Wars?

                                      Shonaigawa

                                      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                                    • Rahlyns Falconer-Beddes
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jun 26, 2001
                                        > I have to wonder what a period Japanese person would have thought
                                        had he
                                        > encountered good blackened Cajun catfish. <G>
                                        >
                                        > Effingham

                                        What's Japanese for, "Wow! That's some spicy fish!?"
                                      • Barbara Nostrand
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jun 27, 2001
                                          Baron Edward!

                                          Greetings from Solveig! Was it that dreadful British sports
                                          announcer who says things like MAHH-WASH? BLEH! PHOOEY! There
                                          is absolutely no excuse! The English Sumo announcer butchers
                                          Japanese far worse than the business and politics reporters
                                          who make me gringe more than enough. There are so many people
                                          around who have actually learned Japanese! Why can not they
                                          employ one of them? If they were willing to lay out the yen,
                                          they might even get one of the Kent's to do the job for them.

                                          Incidentally, Sumo is the only professional sport that I have
                                          ever really followed. I even enjoyed watching the young
                                          rikishi and gyoji in the middle of the afternoon and started
                                          spotting promissing youngsters before they ever made it inot
                                          the juryo division.

                                          Then again, I should tell you about my roomate during my
                                          first Summer in an intensive Summer program who used a towel
                                          for a mawashi and mimicked ring entering cremonies and
                                          stuff. I believe that she may now be a member of pmjs as
                                          I mysteriously received a personal note from her shortly
                                          after I joined the mailing list.

                                        • debbie strub
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jun 27, 2001
                                            Greetings,

                                            Thanks for the suggestion. I've already discovered the Costume
                                            Museum thanks to this list. I hadn't run across anything on tabi yet.

                                            YIS,

                                            Tsuruko

                                            At 12:05 AM 6/26/2001 -0400, you wrote:
                                            >Noble Cousin!
                                            >
                                            >Greetings from Solveig! At a guess, Baron Edward is using pictures
                                            >from the Costume Museum. The URL for the Costume Museum is at:
                                            >
                                            >http://www.iz2.or.jp/
                                            >
                                            > Your Humble SErvant
                                            > Solveig Throndardottir
                                            > Amateur Scholar

                                          • debbie strub
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jun 27, 2001
                                              Greetings,

                                              At 12:37 AM 6/26/2001 -0500, you wrote:
                                              >debbie strub wrote:
                                              >
                                              > > Baron Edward,
                                              > >
                                              > > Where were you when I started doing Japanese all those (mumble)
                                              > > years ago! Your garb pages in it's early stages fill in many gaps in my
                                              > > research. We're not worthy! We're not worthy!
                                              >
                                              >Fmeh.
                                              >
                                              >You're excellent! <G>

                                              Well, I used to think I knew something about this stuff and I
                                              suppose I do for someone who can use only English language references. But
                                              the more I learn I realize there's even more that I don't know.

                                              > > My only recommendation is to put dates on the illustrations and
                                              > > cite the reference they came from. That's for all us costumer types who
                                              > > may want to use the info for documentation.
                                              >
                                              >Good point. I usually will point out something if it's a specific variant
                                              >(like
                                              >the Edo style kataginu and sashinuki), or describe the variation if the
                                              >illustration is not typical.
                                              >
                                              >There will be another section shortly up that will put these outfits in
                                              >historical
                                              >contexts.
                                              >

                                              > > Will you be adding a bibliography?
                                              >
                                              >More than you could stand. <G>

                                              I can stand quite a bit! :) I'm one of those perverts who
                                              actually LIKES to do research. Thanks again for your help.

                                              YIS,

                                              Tsuruko

                                            • fsjlb4@uaf.edu
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jun 27, 2001
                                                > The two that make me twitch most are "smalls" for "children" and "dragon"
                                                > for "car," "wain," or "wagon." Either of these latter three are perfectly
                                                > good period words for wheeled vehicles. It's replacing good, real historical
                                                > terms with bogus pseudo-historical terms. It's bad history, bad re-enacting,
                                                > and just wrong.

                                                I have to add 'troll' to the mix here. 'Boxed minstrels' for a stereo
                                                (just call them minstrels if you want to) and 'farspeaker' for telephone
                                                are also ones that pull me out of the proper mindset and into things like
                                                Tolkein or Asimov.

                                                > Don't say sumo... I'm still trying to live down the pain of watching sumo on
                                                > ESPN the other night, and hearing the announcer butcher one name after
                                                > another, and totally mispronounce all the terminology. Couldn't they at
                                                > least take some time beforehand so someone could tell him how the names are
                                                > pronounced? I love sumo, but I can't watch it it's that bad (and no, sumo
                                                > with no sound doesn't work, either).

                                                On "Win Ben Stein's Money" Jimmy Kemmel pronounced 'Edo' as 'Ido'. It
                                                took me a second to realize what he was talking about. Why must we
                                                constantly break our own phonetic rules? Ki-o-to for Kyoto I understand,
                                                but still... sheesh.

                                                > I have to wonder what a period Japanese person would have thought had he
                                                > encountered good blackened Cajun catfish. <G>

                                                "Sumimasen. Chotto yaki-sugimasen ka?"*

                                                -Ii

                                                *Excuse me. Isn't this a little over-cooked?
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jun 27, 2001
                                                  Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                                                  > Baron Edward!
                                                  >
                                                  > Greetings from Solveig! Was it that dreadful British sports
                                                  > announcer who says things like MAHH-WASH? BLEH! PHOOEY! There
                                                  > is absolutely no excuse! The English Sumo announcer butchers
                                                  > Japanese far worse than the business and politics reporters
                                                  > who make me gringe more than enough. There are so many people
                                                  > around who have actually learned Japanese! Why can not they
                                                  > employ one of them? If they were willing to lay out the yen,
                                                  > they might even get one of the Kent's to do the job for them.

                                                  No, it was some middle American baseball-announcer-type guy.

                                                  He called the douhyou the "DOUGH-yo," maegashira wrestlers "may (like the
                                                  month) gaSHIRa", Takanohana was "taKAnohana" (at least he should understand
                                                  that how the names are broken down affect the pronunciation...
                                                  "taka-no-hana") and Musashimaru was "MOOSEuhsheeMARoo" It drove me nuts.

                                                  And you're right, since this is all recorded video, you don't need live
                                                  action sports color; any actor can follow a script.

                                                  > Incidentally, Sumo is the only professional sport that I have
                                                  > ever really followed. I even enjoyed watching the young
                                                  > rikishi and gyoji in the middle of the afternoon and started
                                                  > spotting promissing youngsters before they ever made it inot
                                                  > the juryo division.

                                                  I'm with you. I've been following and pulling for Terao since The Old
                                                  Days... Although when Chiyo retired it was like six months before I could
                                                  bring myself to watch again...

                                                  > Then again, I should tell you about my roomate during my
                                                  > first Summer in an intensive Summer program who used a towel
                                                  > for a mawashi and mimicked ring entering cremonies and
                                                  > stuff. I believe that she may now be a member of pmjs as
                                                  > I mysteriously received a personal note from her shortly
                                                  > after I joined the mailing list.

                                                  Now that's something I would've liked to see. <G>

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jun 27, 2001
                                                    debbie strub wrote:

                                                    > Well, I used to think I knew something about this stuff and I
                                                    > suppose I do for someone who can use only English language references. But
                                                    > the more I learn I realize there's even more that I don't know.

                                                    Maybe I shouldn't tell you this, but you should hear *me* bitch and moan about
                                                    that same thing. <G> I'm actually embarrassed about some of the things I
                                                    published in years gone by.

                                                    > > > Will you be adding a bibliography?
                                                    > >
                                                    > >More than you could stand. <G>
                                                    >
                                                    > I can stand quite a bit! :) I'm one of those perverts who
                                                    > actually LIKES to do research. Thanks again for your help.

                                                    Ew, what's wrong with you? <G>

                                                    Several more garments have been added, including a pile of Buddhist thingies,
                                                    and some others have been tweeked....

                                                    This is why I hate putting things up before their done (no one is going to
                                                    check every day or look for new things all the time, but...) but I do feel that
                                                    it could serve some semblance of a purpose now.

                                                    Effingham
                                                  • debbie strub
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jul 1 9:23 PM
                                                      Greetings,

                                                      At 11:59 AM 6/27/2001 -0500, you wrote:
                                                      debbie strub wrote:

                                                      >          Well, I used to think I knew something about this stuff and I
                                                      > suppose I do for someone who can use only English language references.  But
                                                      > the more I learn I realize there's even more that I don't know.

                                                      Maybe I shouldn't tell you this, but you should hear *me* bitch and moan about
                                                      that same thing. <G> I'm actually embarrassed about some of the things I
                                                      published in years gone by.

                                                               Join the club.  And you know lots more about this stuff than I do.  I've been intending to revise some of my earlier handouts and such for a long time.  Now I think it's going to be easier to just re-write the whole thing.

                                                      > > >          Will you be adding a bibliography?
                                                      > >
                                                      > >More than you could stand. <G>
                                                      >
                                                      >          I can stand quite a bit!  :)  I'm one of those perverts who
                                                      > actually LIKES to do research.  Thanks again for your help.

                                                      Ew, what's wrong with you? <G>

                                                               Toldja I was a perv!  I was a nerd before they invented the term.  I even wear glasses!  And I've always got a book with me.  Really drives some people nuts.

                                                      Several more garments have been added, including a pile of Buddhist thingies,
                                                      and some others have been tweeked....

                                                      This is why I hate putting things up before their done (no one is going to
                                                      check every day or look for new things all the time, but...) but I do feel that
                                                      it could serve some semblance of a purpose now.

                                                               I still enjoy checking it out even as it's being developed.  I can't wait for the women's costume section to get done, and I'll bet I'm not the only one!
                                                               BTW,  I found something in the kataginu section - it says the kataginu was worn right layered over left like a kosode...  Isn't that the other way around, i.e. left over right?

                                                      Deb/Tsuruko