[SCA-JML] Asian personas

  • Holly Turner
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 16, 1999
      I am interested in developing an Asian persona and would be greatful for
      any information you can send me in that regard.

      Thanks
      hturner2@...
    • fsjlb4
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 17, 1999
        >===== Original Message From sca-jml@egroups.com =====
        >I am interested in developing an Asian persona and would be greatful for
        >any information you can send me in that regard.
        >
        >Thanks
        >hturner2@...

        By Asian, what exactly are you looking for? There are the Mongols, from the
        steppes; the various peoples of China, of which I personally know less than
        I'd like; the Japanese, who many consider iffy in period, but for whom this
        list is a wonderful resource; or another culture? An 'Asian' persona is like
        asking for a 'European' persona; there is just too much to give a single
        description of all the cultures.

        That being said, I think that the best answers from this list are probably
        going to be regarding things Japanese. If you are looking for a Japanese
        persona you are probably looking at something in the 16th Century, during the
        Warring States Period of Japan. How specific do you want to get? Please
        correct me if I am wrong, but even at this time there are basically four
        classes of citizens: the aristocrats, the Merchants, the Peasants, and the
        Artisans (Where did priests and monks fall in this adaptation of the Confucian
        System?)

        I don't remember if any distinction was made between the samurai and 'nobles'
        in terms of their class in society, though definitely there were ranks among
        them.

        Since people are assumed to be nobles, I believe that a noble/samurai is what
        is most often chosen as a persona (occassionally with some reason for being in
        Europe, though this is not always a worry).

        There are several resources I have heard out there for name and device help;
        if you are having trouble in that regards then feel free to ask a herald.

        As for resources I don't have anything good to give out. I left my books at
        home, as I am now a bit closer to the history here in Japan. I remember
        Stephen Turnbull, but that is the only name I can pull off the top of my head.

        I wish you luck, and will help if I can, though I'm sure others on this list
        are much more qualified.

        Gambate!

        -Godric Logan aka Joshua Badgley

        PS: While I am here in Japan I am taking pictures of nearly everything they
        allow me to (Unfortunately I can't take any pictures inside many museums). I
        am going to have them put up on a website as soon as possible. If anyone
        would like pictures of anything specific in the Nagoya area, please let me
        know and I will see what I can do, though I can't promise anything.
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 17, 1999
          fsjlb4 wrote:

          > PS: While I am here in Japan I am taking pictures of nearly everything they
          > allow me to (Unfortunately I can't take any pictures inside many museums). I
          > am going to have them put up on a website as soon as possible. If anyone
          > would like pictures of anything specific in the Nagoya area, please let me
          > know and I will see what I can do, though I can't promise anything.

          Are you the fella I sent that long list of Must-See museums to a few months ago?

          You HAVE to get to Nakamura Koen and visit the Hideyoshi/Kato Kiyomasa Museum.
          Very near the museum is a small temple housing a shrine dedicated to the memory
          of Kiyomasa (who was born there) and a few yards away another for Hideyoshi (who
          was born THERE.)