Online Japanese Miscellany

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 17, 2001
      Greetings, all!

      It's not totally done, but the Japanese Online Miscellany is available for
      your perusal.

      Currently "done" chapters are:

      Japanese Names
      Modes of Address
      Japanese Heraldry
      The japanese Question
      Etiquette & Protocol
      The "Ninja Thing"
      Flags and Banners
      Dining
      Time & Calendar
      Poetry
      Kai-Awase (shell matching)
      Go
      Shogi
      Sugoroku (Japanese backgammon)
      Kemari (Japanese kickball)
      Gitcho (Japanese field hockey)
      Card Games
      Camp Curtains

      Any comments -- positive or brickbats -- are readily accepted!

      The address is
      http://www.geocities.com/sengokudaimyo/Miscellany/Misc_home.html

      Also, on the armour manual: I'm adding lots of graphics. Many chapters now
      end with a "gallery" of thumbnails that open to larger (sometimes
      full-screen) images of the various parts, so you can see details of how
      variations of design were done on common armour parts. For now, the most
      numerous samples in the galleries are for kote, haidate, and suneate, though
      helmets and face armour are being worked on now, and I hope to have a pile
      of do and general armour images up soon.

      Effingham
    • CaffinatedX@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 17, 2001
        Thank you for the link. i find it very interesting and informative ,
        especially as a SCA newbie.
        Yuki
      • The Talented Fool
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 18, 2001
          You are so my hero! *building shrine to Effingham-dono*

          Hatakeyama no Kaede

          > Greetings, all!
          >

          > It's not totally done, but the Japanese Online Miscellany is
          available for
          > your perusal.
          >
          > Currently "done" chapters are:
          >
          > Japanese Names
          > Modes of Address
          > Japanese Heraldry
          > The japanese Question
          > Etiquette & Protocol
          > The "Ninja Thing"
          > Flags and Banners
          > Dining
          > Time & Calendar
          > Poetry
          > Kai-Awase (shell matching)
          > Go
          > Shogi
          > Sugoroku (Japanese backgammon)
          > Kemari (Japanese kickball)
          > Gitcho (Japanese field hockey)
          > Card Games
          > Camp Curtains
          >
          > Any comments -- positive or brickbats -- are readily accepted!
          >
          > The address is
          > http://www.geocities.com/sengokudaimyo/Miscellany/Misc_home.html
          >
          > Also, on the armour manual: I'm adding lots of graphics. Many
          chapters now
          > end with a "gallery" of thumbnails that open to larger (sometimes
          > full-screen) images of the various parts, so you can see details of
          how
          > variations of design were done on common armour parts. For now, the
          most
          > numerous samples in the galleries are for kote, haidate, and
          suneate, though
          > helmets and face armour are being worked on now, and I hope to have
          a pile
          > of do and general armour images up soon.
          >
          > Effingham
        • Katarina Peregrine
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 18, 2001
            --- In sca-jml@y..., "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...> wrote:
            > Greetings, all!
            >

            > It's not totally done, but the Japanese Online Miscellany is available for
            > your perusal.>>

            My. This will come in handy, as I just joined the list today to (I hope) aquire
            information on making garb for my husband, Tetsuo Akira, otherwise known as
            Mike the 6-ft. Japanese...

            The patterns in the files are excellent! Thanks to all of you who put them in.
            Now all I have to do is convince my printer it can work, and I'm all set.

            And I bow to Effingham, as I have attended two of his classes, and will now be
            able to apply what I have learned.

            Katarina Peregrine
            Gwyntarian, Middle
          • Carl Grasso
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 18, 2001
              Greetings,

              Wasn't there supposed to be a new Japanese Complete
              Anachronist released? I remember hearing about it on
              one of the lists a while ago.

              In Gassho,

              /\ Seiryu

              =====
              With every gust of wind,
              the butterfly changes its place
              on the willow
              -Basho

              http://buzz.yahoo.com/
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 18, 2001
                The Talented Fool wrote:

                > You are so my hero! *building shrine to Effingham-dono*

                Arigato!!!

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 18, 2001
                  CaffinatedX@... wrote:

                  > Thank you for the link. i find it very interesting and informative ,
                  > especially as a SCA newbie.
                  > Yuki

                  Thank you!

                  This is what I do. <G>

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 18, 2001
                    Katarina Peregrine wrote:

                    > My. This will come in handy, as I just joined the list today to (I hope) aquire
                    > information on making garb for my husband, Tetsuo Akira, otherwise known as
                    > Mike the 6-ft. Japanese...
                    >
                    > The patterns in the files are excellent! Thanks to all of you who put them in.
                    > Now all I have to do is convince my printer it can work, and I'm all set.
                    >
                    > And I bow to Effingham, as I have attended two of his classes, and will now be
                    > able to apply what I have learned.

                    Thank you! We try. <G>

                    Effingham
                  • Nate Ledbetter
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 18, 2001
                      Effingham-dono:

                      Omedetou on a fabulous site! Makoto no subarashii na!*

                      While sadly I couldn't get the dining or campsite
                      sections to come up, everything was wonderful! Thanks
                      you sincerely for sucha wonderful work!

                      Shonaigawa

                      http://buzz.yahoo.com/
                    • ravensong3@juno.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 18, 2001
                        Trying to print out the Online Japanese Miscellany - the Heraldica
                        section printed properly, all the rest only printed the subject
                        listing on the left side of the screen rather than the text of the
                        articles....

                        Rhiannon (who has no Japanese name yet)

                        > The address is
                        > http://www.geocities.com/sengokudaimyo/Miscellany/Misc_home.html

                      • Jordan Malokofsky
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 18, 2001
                          >From: ravensong3@...
                          >To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: [SCA-JML] Re: Online Japanese Miscellany
                          >Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 20:18:36 -0000
                          >
                          >Trying to print out the Online Japanese Miscellany - the Heraldica
                          >section printed properly, all the rest only printed the subject
                          >listing on the left side of the screen rather than the text of the
                          >articles....

                          When printing a web page in a frame, make sure that the frame you want to
                          print is "selected". In your case, you'd likely just clicked the link in
                          the subject listing, thus leaving that frame selected and set to be printed.
                          Try clicking somehere in the article frame and then clicking the print
                          button.

                          Subete no kisoku ni reigai ari.
                          <There is an exception to every rule.>
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 19, 2001
                            Worked like a charm (not sure why the Heraldica section didn't require
                            that extra step...) many thanks!

                            Rhiannon

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 19, 2001
                              Nate Ledbetter wrote:

                              > Omedetou on a fabulous site! Makoto no subarashii na!*

                              Thank you!

                              > While sadly I couldn't get the dining or campsite
                              > sections to come up, everything was wonderful! Thanks
                              > you sincerely for sucha wonderful work!

                              Oops, those links shouldn't be showing active yet (I'm still working on
                              those pages...).

                              Sorry!