Re: [SCA-JML] before kanji?

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 16, 2001
      Lady Gara!

      Greetings from Solveig! There is no known Japanese writing system
      before the introduction of kanji. Writing is actually a fairly
      rare ex-nillo invention. Once the concept of writing has been
      introduced, people are fairly proficient at inventing new writing
      systems.

      | techie.com, msn.com |
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 17, 2001
        Gara of Lions Gate wrote:

        > I have a question for the scholars on this list! Did the inhabitants of the
        > Japanese islands have a writing system *before* they borrowed kanji from
        > China??

        Nope, kanji were the roots of the first writing system in Japan.

        There were many neo-nationalist scholars in the Edo period who believed that
        there *had* been a native writing system, called jindai moji (literally:
        "characters from the age of gods" and usually translated as "divine script").
        It was supposed to have existed in the days when the kami were active (your
        Kojiki-days) and into the third and fourth centuries, and was supplanted by
        kanji... but it never existed.