Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Castle/Museum near Tokyo

  • Gara of Lions Gate
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 16, 2001

      > With one eye on CNN, I decided to go ahead (to Matsumoto). Glad I
      > did. We actually had SUNSHINE this morning and no rain all day!
      > (okay, that was a small lie, a slight misting rain helped keep me
      > cool on my morning run)
      >
      > --otagiri

      Well I wasn't saying "cancel your plans", I was just saying that if you plan
      on sitting on a train and seeing stuff out the window, you *might* be
      disappointed! Glad you enjoyed your trip. I should have hung my futon out
      today, since like you said, it was actually sunny!!

      Gara, who has a lot of laundry that needs to be done!
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 17, 2001
        ronbroberg@... wrote:

        > Thank you for the tips. I really appreciate them. However, since I
        > did not read them until tonight (Saturday), I went ahead with my plan
        > to visit Matsumoto.

        Cool. Matsumoto is one of my other favorite castles.

        > It is not too far from Yokota AFB (~Tachikawa);
        > it is about 2.5 hours by limited express. I am still amazed by how
        > far I can get with my extremely limited Japanese. I only know a
        > couple of hundred words and have no grammar skills. So now I am the
        > proud owner of a pair of waraji. The proprietress had no idea of how
        > t to tie them, so ...
        >
        > Does anyone know how to wear waraji?

        I usually put 'em on my fee. <G>

        http://www.os.xaxon.ne.jp/~umihei/clothes/waraji/stan_e.htm

        > In the museum attached to the castle, there was an armour with mogami
        > kosode that were hinged. Each of the 5 lames had two hinges built
        > into them. Can you tell me when such a sode would have been made and
        > why?

        You were probably looking at bishamon-gote. Those are kote where the sode is
        actually *part* of the sleeve, rather than a separate piece of armour. Quite
        often, these were hinged to make them more wearable, as being part of the
        sleeve they generally need more flexibility (and moulding to the arms) than
        the regularly freely flopping variety.