Sohei/yamabushi garb

  • wcbooth@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 15, 2001
      Hey folks...

      i'm almost ready for pennsic.. but i need a little help.. i can't
      find any decent Sohei/yamabushi info anywhere.... the only good pik
      is in Edwards book..... anyone got any good links?

      Nobu
    • Carl Grasso
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 15, 2001
        --- wcbooth@... wrote:
        > Hey folks...
        >
        > i'm almost ready for pennsic.. but i need a little
        > help.. i can't
        > find any decent Sohei/yamabushi info anywhere....
        > the only good pik
        > is in Edwards book..... anyone got any good links?
        >
        > Nobu

        Hello. I think I may have some links but I need to
        unpack my Mac to get at them. Give me a few days and
        I'll post them if I still have them.

        /\ Seiryu

        http://buzz.yahoo.com/
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 16, 2001

          Greetings from Solveig! The Costum Museum has pictures. Check
          out the following link:

          http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukusyoku/wayou/46.htm

          | techie.com, msn.com |
        • ronbroberg@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 17, 2001
            --- In sca-jml@y..., Barbara Nostrand <nostrand@a...> wrote:
            > Noble Cousin!
            >
            > Greetings from Solveig! The Costum Museum has pictures. Check
            > out the following link:
            >
            > http://www.iz2.or.jp/fukusyoku/wayou/46.htm

            What is that "mesh" like fabric used as the outer covering? Is there
            some stiffness to it? What would be a good modern substitute?

            Onegaishimas
            --otagiri
          • Barbara Nostrand
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 17, 2001

              Greetings from Solveig! It is obviously a somewhat stiff open
              mesh fabric probably similar to organdi or was it organza I
              forget exactly what the stuff was called that was used in
              dress making several decades ago. Just go to the fabric store
              and look for something similar. The original is most likely
              made out of silk.

              | techie.com, msn.com |
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 17, 2001
                wcbooth@... wrote:

                > Hey folks...
                >
                > i'm almost ready for pennsic.. but i need a little help.. i can't
                > find any decent Sohei/yamabushi info anywhere.... the only good pik
                > is in Edwards book..... anyone got any good links?

                No links, but I can scan in some images of monkish clothing for you. I'll
                post a link as soon as I get it up.

                In the meantime, something I suggest people do (something I've only recently
                become really strict on myself) is avoiding the term "yamabushi" for
                "sohei." Yamabushi, written with one set of kanji, does refer to sohei, but
                written with a different set of kanji refers to a specific sect of ascetic
                Buddhist monks who also were known for being badasses, but in a different
                way.

                Effingham
                (who is thinking of putting together some yamabushi gear for Pennsic...)
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 17, 2001
                  ronbroberg@... wrote:

                  > What is that "mesh" like fabric used as the outer covering? Is there
                  > some stiffness to it? What would be a good modern substitute?

                  It's a heavy silk gauze. They weren't all gauze; many were regular opaque
                  cloth.

                  Effingham
                • wcbooth@hotmail.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 17, 2001
                    Hey, Edward,
                    that could be interesting, a bunch of Sohei wandering
                    around....
                  • Barbara Nostrand
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 19, 2001
                      Baron Edward!

                      And here I thought that the Yamabushi were a fring cult only
                      marginally Buddhist. I wouldn't have described them as "bad-addes",
                      but I would agree that they are rather "interesting."

                      | techie.com, msn.com |
                    • Barbara Nostrand
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 19, 2001

                        Greetings from Solveig! Note that the gauze is probably starched so
                        that it stands out. I suspect that the gauze variety may simply be
                        a Summer variant.

                        | techie.com, msn.com |
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 19, 2001
                          Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                          > Baron Edward!
                          >
                          > And here I thought that the Yamabushi were a fring cult only
                          > marginally Buddhist. I wouldn't have described them as "bad-addes",
                          > but I would agree that they are rather "interesting."

                          They had a lot of old shinto things tied in. It was a rather synchretistic
                          sect. <G> But if you ask a Japanese about the yamabushi, the name he'd slap
                          on would be "a Buddhist sect." The dictionaries call yamabushi "so," which
                          is the term for Buddhist priest, rather than one of the shinto priest terms
                          or something else. <shrug>

                          I've seen a couple of yamabushi servi... well, not services. Hmmm... Things.
                          Yeah, things. Very interesting group.

                          BTW, the bad-ass for yamabushi isn't in their military skills (though they
                          had those in spades); it's for their ability to disappear in the mountains
                          in the winter and survive the depredations of wind and snow and cold as if
                          they didn't even notice them.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 19, 2001
                            Barbara Nostrand wrote:

                            > Noble Cousin!
                            >
                            > Greetings from Solveig! Note that the gauze is probably starched so
                            > that it stands out.

                            Indeed. Given the lifestyles of these guys vs. those in the capital, the
                            fabric treatment doesn't last long.

                            > I suspect that the gauze variety may simply be
                            > a Summer variant.

                            Probably not. These guys typically had one robe (they're monastics, after
                            all), and if it was gauze it was gauze; if it was hemp, it was hemp. We're
                            talking the armies of monks, of course, not the more "wealthy" and powerful
                            ones who had other resources.

                            Effingham
                          • wcbooth@hotmail.com
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 19, 2001
                              > BTW, the bad-ass for yamabushi isn't in their military skills
                              (though they
                              > had those in spades); it's for their ability to disappear in the
                              mountains
                              > in the winter and survive the depredations of wind and snow and
                              cold as if
                              > they didn't even notice them.
                              >

                              > Effingham

                              Lol.. sounds like they had a little canadian blood in 'em..hehehe

                              (ok, so it's off topic, but hey, its funny)

                              Nobu
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 19, 2001
                                wcbooth@... wrote:

                                > > BTW, the bad-ass for yamabushi isn't in their military skills
                                > (though they
                                > > had those in spades); it's for their ability to disappear in the
                                > mountains
                                > > in the winter and survive the depredations of wind and snow and
                                > cold as if
                                > > they didn't even notice them.
                                > >

                                > > Effingham
                                >
                                > Lol.. sounds like they had a little canadian blood in 'em..hehehe

                                Either that or they were really Russian spies down from Siberia. <G>

                                Effingham
                              • Izumi
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 19, 2001
                                  > In the meantime, something I suggest people do (something I've only
                                  recently
                                  > become really strict on myself) is avoiding the term "yamabushi" for
                                  > "sohei." Yamabushi, written with one set of kanji, does refer to
                                  sohei, but
                                  > written with a different set of kanji refers to a specific sect of
                                  ascetic
                                  > Buddhist monks who also were known for being badasses, but in a
                                  different
                                  > way.

                                  Where can I find out what the 2 sets of kanji are?

                                  Thanks
                                  Izumi Tatsuaki
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 19, 2001
                                    Izumi wrote:

                                    > > In the meantime, something I suggest people do (something I've only
                                    > recently
                                    > > become really strict on myself) is avoiding the term "yamabushi" for
                                    > > "sohei." Yamabushi, written with one set of kanji, does refer to
                                    > sohei, but
                                    > > written with a different set of kanji refers to a specific sect of
                                    > ascetic
                                    > > Buddhist monks who also were known for being badasses, but in a
                                    > different
                                    > > way.
                                    >
                                    > Where can I find out what the 2 sets of kanji are?

                                    Can your computer read Japanese?

                                    Effingham
                                  • Barbara Nostrand
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 19, 2001
                                      Baron Edward!

                                      Oh agreed that they are closer to being sort of Buddhists than
                                      anything you would find in modern organized Shintoh. But, they
                                      are well strange no matter how you slice it. There is a whole
                                      genre of kyogen plays surrounding their activities. They were
                                      if anything somewhat notorious by the late Muromachi period.

                                    • Barbara Nostrand
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jun 19, 2001
                                        Tatsuaki Dono!

                                        Greetings from Solveig!

                                        >Where can I find out what the 2 sets of kanji are?

                                        From a Japanese dictionary of course. Seriously, that is where
                                        you go to find out what they are. If you computer can display
                                        Japanese, then either Baron Edward or I can send you the two
                                        words. That would be another way.

                                        | techie.com, msn.com |