Re: [SCA-JML] Castle/Museum near Tokyo

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 15 6:22 AM

      I do not recommend the hot season immediately following the
      rainy season to go to such places. Best times are right after
      Golden Week or right before momiji (colored leaves) season.
      That way, you have lots of access and the weather isn't too
      bad.

      If you are living on the economy, then your holidays are fixed
      and you will be out there during Golden Week. For Obon, I
      suggest either staying in a big city (which quiet down
      remarkably and are actually fairly peaceful) or going to
      someplace relatively cool like Alaska.

      | techie.com, msn.com |
    • ronbroberg@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 16 4:34 AM
        --- In sca-jml@y..., "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...> wrote:
        However, one cool place I really love in Tokyo is the Edo Fukugawa
        Shiryokan
        <http://www.frommers.com/destinations/moreattract.cfm?
        a_id=23479&destID=85&directory=tokyo&p_id=23479&tn=attraction&leftnav=
        0085020238>
        ---

        Thank you for the tips. I really appreciate them. However, since I
        did not read them until tonight (Saturday), I went ahead with my plan
        to visit Matsumoto. It is not too far from Yokota AFB (~Tachikawa);
        it is about 2.5 hours by limited express. I am still amazed by how
        far I can get with my extremely limited Japanese. I only know a
        couple of hundred words and have no grammar skills. So now I am the
        proud owner of a pair of waraji. The proprietress had no idea of how
        t to tie them, so ...

        Does anyone know how to wear waraji?

        In the museum attached to the castle, there was an armour with mogami
        kosode that were hinged. Each of the 5 lames had two hinges built
        into them. Can you tell me when such a sode would have been made and
        why?

        Thanks again for the castle pointers, I still have 2 or 3 weekends,
        so I can probably visit one more.

        --otagiri
        (furiously studying his hiragana to be a literate samurai)
      • ronbroberg@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 16 4:39 AM
          --- In sca-jml@y..., "Gara of Lions Gate" <kimberly.m@t...> wrote:

          > > The train line from Tokyo down toward Nagoya is dotted with
          castles. One
          > > reasonably close to Tokyo is Odawara. Nice place, great location,
          and a
          > heck
          > > of a view by the sea.
          > >

          > > Effingham
          > >

          > If you're thinking of doing that this time of year forget it. I
          just went
          > to Nagoya by Hikari shinkansen (bullet train) last Saturday, and it
          was so
          > overcast we couldn't see a darn thing. It's been like that for the
          last
          > couple of weeks, and will probably remain so for the next while.
          >
          > Gara
          > (who is quite happy with tsuyuu (rainy season) this year because
          the weather
          > is not hot at all!)

          With one eye on CNN, I decided to go ahead (to Matsumoto). Glad I
          did. We actually had SUNSHINE this morning and no rain all day!
          (okay, that was a small lie, a slight misting rain helped keep me
          cool on my morning run)

          --otagiri
        • Gara of Lions Gate
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 16 11:58 AM

            > With one eye on CNN, I decided to go ahead (to Matsumoto). Glad I
            > did. We actually had SUNSHINE this morning and no rain all day!
            > (okay, that was a small lie, a slight misting rain helped keep me
            > cool on my morning run)
            >
            > --otagiri

            Well I wasn't saying "cancel your plans", I was just saying that if you plan
            on sitting on a train and seeing stuff out the window, you *might* be
            disappointed! Glad you enjoyed your trip. I should have hung my futon out
            today, since like you said, it was actually sunny!!

            Gara, who has a lot of laundry that needs to be done!
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 17 12:49 PM
              ronbroberg@... wrote:

              > Thank you for the tips. I really appreciate them. However, since I
              > did not read them until tonight (Saturday), I went ahead with my plan
              > to visit Matsumoto.

              Cool. Matsumoto is one of my other favorite castles.

              > It is not too far from Yokota AFB (~Tachikawa);
              > it is about 2.5 hours by limited express. I am still amazed by how
              > far I can get with my extremely limited Japanese. I only know a
              > couple of hundred words and have no grammar skills. So now I am the
              > proud owner of a pair of waraji. The proprietress had no idea of how
              > t to tie them, so ...
              >
              > Does anyone know how to wear waraji?

              I usually put 'em on my fee. <G>

              http://www.os.xaxon.ne.jp/~umihei/clothes/waraji/stan_e.htm

              > In the museum attached to the castle, there was an armour with mogami
              > kosode that were hinged. Each of the 5 lames had two hinges built
              > into them. Can you tell me when such a sode would have been made and
              > why?

              You were probably looking at bishamon-gote. Those are kote where the sode is
              actually *part* of the sleeve, rather than a separate piece of armour. Quite
              often, these were hinged to make them more wearable, as being part of the
              sleeve they generally need more flexibility (and moulding to the arms) than
              the regularly freely flopping variety.