Re: [SCA-JML] Castle/Museum near Tokyo

    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 14, 2001
      ronbroberg@... wrote:

      > Onegaishimasu:
      >
      > Last time I was in Japan, one of my favorite activities was visiting
      > castles (Hikone and Himeji). I take my castles slow, enjoying the
      > walk to them, taking in the gardens (I saw what had to be a 6' carp in
      > the Hikone garden pond), trying to get a feel for the "lay of the
      > land."
      >
      > Anyone have a favorite castle within a few hours train ride of Tokyo
      > (okay, a few hours on something other than a bullet train)? Matsumoto,
      > perhaps?
      >
      > Any good costume museums in Tokyo?

      Well, there is a costume museum in Tokyo, but it's not that hot, I'm afraid.
      It's the Sugino Costume Museum, and it's attached to a private university
      where they learn design and things like that. It's primarily historical
      Western stuff (all that 19th century clothing and so on) although there is
      some armour and historical J. stuff. You have to go to Kyoto for a really
      good costume museum.

      However, one cool place I really love in Tokyo is the Edo Fukugawa Shiryokan
      <http://www.frommers.com/destinations/moreattract.cfm?a_id=23479&destID=85&directory=tokyo&p_id=23479&tn=attraction&leftnav=0085020238>

      A quote: "This is the Tokyo of your dreams, the way it appears in all those
      samurai flicks on Japanese TV: a reproduction of a 19th-century neighborhood
      in Fukagawa, a prosperous community on the east bank of the Sumida River
      during the Edo Period."

      Of course there's the Tokyo Sword Museum, and that's definitely worth a
      look-see.

      When I was last there (in '92), they were just starting to put out
      information in English. it's mostly in japanese (as that's the primary
      audience, they wouldn't expect many furriners to be into that sort of
      thing), but there should be enough in English to explain all about it.
      Fortunately, most *everything* you might want to see is a few hours from
      Tokyo. It depends on how you qualify "a few hours," though <G>.

      As for castles:

      Hikone Castle is an old fave, but you've already been there.

      Inuyama (which Ly. Solveig has mentioned) is my favorite old castle for two
      reasons: [1] it's one of a scant handful of old castles that is still in the
      original state from it's pre-1600 construction (that is, it was never bombed
      nor burned nor built up), and [2], it's the only castle in *private*
      ownership, and the current owner is the 12th (15th?) descendent of the first
      lord of the castle. (That's right; the current *owner* is a descendent of
      the castle's first lord. He's a TV executive, and a famous poet.)

      Gifu is a great little castle, with some wonderful displays and a hell of a
      view... it's on the top of a mountain -- literally the point of the peak --
      that can be reached by either a long hour and a half hike up the side, or a
      five minute funicular ride. I went with the funicular up (and I have
      acrophobia), and had to walk down because I couldn't bear the thing again...

      The train line from Tokyo down toward Nagoya is dotted with castles. One
      reasonably close to Tokyo is Odawara. Nice place, great location, and a heck
      of a view by the sea.

      Effingham
    • Gara of Lions Gate
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 14, 2001

        > The train line from Tokyo down toward Nagoya is dotted with castles. One
        > reasonably close to Tokyo is Odawara. Nice place, great location, and a
        heck
        > of a view by the sea.
        >

        > Effingham

        If you're thinking of doing that this time of year forget it. I just went
        to Nagoya by Hikari shinkansen (bullet train) last Saturday, and it was so
        overcast we couldn't see a darn thing. It's been like that for the last
        couple of weeks, and will probably remain so for the next while.

        Gara
        (who is quite happy with tsuyuu (rainy season) this year because the weather
        is not hot at all!)
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 15, 2001
          Noble Cousins!

          I do not recommend the hot season immediately following the
          rainy season to go to such places. Best times are right after
          Golden Week or right before momiji (colored leaves) season.
          That way, you have lots of access and the weather isn't too
          bad.

          If you are living on the economy, then your holidays are fixed
          and you will be out there during Golden Week. For Obon, I
          suggest either staying in a big city (which quiet down
          remarkably and are actually fairly peaceful) or going to
          someplace relatively cool like Alaska.

          | techie.com, msn.com |
        • ronbroberg@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 16, 2001
            --- In sca-jml@y..., "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...> wrote:
            However, one cool place I really love in Tokyo is the Edo Fukugawa
            Shiryokan
            <http://www.frommers.com/destinations/moreattract.cfm?
            a_id=23479&destID=85&directory=tokyo&p_id=23479&tn=attraction&leftnav=
            0085020238>
            ---

            Thank you for the tips. I really appreciate them. However, since I
            did not read them until tonight (Saturday), I went ahead with my plan
            to visit Matsumoto. It is not too far from Yokota AFB (~Tachikawa);
            it is about 2.5 hours by limited express. I am still amazed by how
            far I can get with my extremely limited Japanese. I only know a
            couple of hundred words and have no grammar skills. So now I am the
            proud owner of a pair of waraji. The proprietress had no idea of how
            t to tie them, so ...

            Does anyone know how to wear waraji?

            In the museum attached to the castle, there was an armour with mogami
            kosode that were hinged. Each of the 5 lames had two hinges built
            into them. Can you tell me when such a sode would have been made and
            why?

            Thanks again for the castle pointers, I still have 2 or 3 weekends,
            so I can probably visit one more.

            --otagiri
            (furiously studying his hiragana to be a literate samurai)
          • ronbroberg@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 16, 2001
              --- In sca-jml@y..., "Gara of Lions Gate" <kimberly.m@t...> wrote:

              > > The train line from Tokyo down toward Nagoya is dotted with
              castles. One
              > > reasonably close to Tokyo is Odawara. Nice place, great location,
              and a
              > heck
              > > of a view by the sea.
              > >

              > > Effingham
              > >

              > If you're thinking of doing that this time of year forget it. I
              just went
              > to Nagoya by Hikari shinkansen (bullet train) last Saturday, and it
              was so
              > overcast we couldn't see a darn thing. It's been like that for the
              last
              > couple of weeks, and will probably remain so for the next while.
              >
              > Gara
              > (who is quite happy with tsuyuu (rainy season) this year because
              the weather
              > is not hot at all!)

              With one eye on CNN, I decided to go ahead (to Matsumoto). Glad I
              did. We actually had SUNSHINE this morning and no rain all day!
              (okay, that was a small lie, a slight misting rain helped keep me
              cool on my morning run)

              --otagiri
            • Gara of Lions Gate
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 16, 2001

                > With one eye on CNN, I decided to go ahead (to Matsumoto). Glad I
                > did. We actually had SUNSHINE this morning and no rain all day!
                > (okay, that was a small lie, a slight misting rain helped keep me
                > cool on my morning run)
                >
                > --otagiri

                Well I wasn't saying "cancel your plans", I was just saying that if you plan
                on sitting on a train and seeing stuff out the window, you *might* be
                disappointed! Glad you enjoyed your trip. I should have hung my futon out
                today, since like you said, it was actually sunny!!

                Gara, who has a lot of laundry that needs to be done!
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 17, 2001
                  ronbroberg@... wrote:

                  > Thank you for the tips. I really appreciate them. However, since I
                  > did not read them until tonight (Saturday), I went ahead with my plan
                  > to visit Matsumoto.

                  Cool. Matsumoto is one of my other favorite castles.

                  > It is not too far from Yokota AFB (~Tachikawa);
                  > it is about 2.5 hours by limited express. I am still amazed by how
                  > far I can get with my extremely limited Japanese. I only know a
                  > couple of hundred words and have no grammar skills. So now I am the
                  > proud owner of a pair of waraji. The proprietress had no idea of how
                  > t to tie them, so ...
                  >
                  > Does anyone know how to wear waraji?

                  I usually put 'em on my fee. <G>

                  http://www.os.xaxon.ne.jp/~umihei/clothes/waraji/stan_e.htm

                  > In the museum attached to the castle, there was an armour with mogami
                  > kosode that were hinged. Each of the 5 lames had two hinges built
                  > into them. Can you tell me when such a sode would have been made and
                  > why?

                  You were probably looking at bishamon-gote. Those are kote where the sode is
                  actually *part* of the sleeve, rather than a separate piece of armour. Quite
                  often, these were hinged to make them more wearable, as being part of the
                  sleeve they generally need more flexibility (and moulding to the arms) than
                  the regularly freely flopping variety.