origami

  • Andrea Gideon
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2001
      Does anyone know if origami is period?

      Nadeshiko
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2001
        Andrea Gideon wrote:

        > Does anyone know if origami is period?
        >
        > Nadeshiko

        It depends on what you mean by "origami."

        Letters and so on were folded and tied into knots as far back as the Heian
        period, but when it comes to making real shapes (like cranes or boats) most
        people think they started that sometime in the 17th century.

        There are a few mon that are origami thingies (I'm thinking of one
        specifically that's a crane) but most of these mon are products of late Edo
        and Meiji periods. Certainly origami birds are also objects painted (makie)
        on lacquerwork and other things. The trick would be to find a tray or
        something showing an origami crane that can be dated with certainty to
        before 1600. I don't know if it can be done.

        And having written this, I just ran across these sites:

        http://www.paperfolding.com/history/partone.html
        http://www.paperfolding.com/history/parttwo.html

        It's nice to find a history that doesn't artificially age all that "exotic"
        Japanese stuff....

        Effingham
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2001
          Noble Cousins!

          Greetings from Solveig! To add slightly to what Baron Edward
          said. Aside from musubibumi (tied letters) there was the
          practice of tying poems, fortunes, &c to tree branches. Also,
          noshi which are a kind of tied amulet dates to period and can
          be found in period kamon. As for either folded paper or cut
          paper art. You should not expect those until paper becomes
          pretty cheap. Paper was fairly cheap by the sixteenth century.
          If you go back to the Heian period, paper was fairly expensive
          if only because it also tended to be pretty fancy. You had to
          select just the right piece of paper for that day after poem
          you know.

          | techie.com, msn.com |