Re: [SCA-JML] Pennsic cooking

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 7 , May 23 11:05 AM

      If you want to have a non-fussy one-pot stew type menu.
      How about Nanbanryori? It is a Japanese version of
      Portugese stew. You should plan on cooking rice as well.
      There is a Japanese food store in Pittsburgh. You can
      buy tofu and stuff like that even closer at the intersection
      between I-79 and the Pennsylvania turnpike.

      Nanban Ryori

      Take a chicken, pluck its hair (sic), and remove its head and feet.
      Cut its tail and after washing it place it in a pot.
      Cut daikon (giant white radish) into large pieces and add them
      to the pot. Add enough water to cover the chicken. Boil until
      the daikon is soft. Remove the chicken and cut into thin strips.
      (Basically shred the chicken.) Before serving, return the chicken
      to the stock and add sake and salt. Season with garlic, light
      miso, and add hiratake (lit. flat mushrooms probably kinoko
      mushrooms), welsh onions, and similar vegetables.

      Miso survives pretty well at Pennsic and is now available at a
      lot of health food stores and the natural food sections of
      super markets.

      Ryorimonogatari
      Chapter 9 - soup
      | techie.com, msn.com |
    • Andrea Gideon
      Message 2 of 7 , May 23 2:14 PM
        > Nanban Ryori

        Any idea how many this will feed?
        It sounds good and I'll give it a try at one of our camp work weekends.

        add hiratake (lit. flat mushrooms probably kinoko
        > mushrooms),
        What are kinoko mushrooms similar to? I don't think I've heard of them.
        Could I use shitake?
        welsh onions,
        What are welsh onion?

        Thanks!
        Andrea
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 7 , May 23 4:49 PM

          I believe that "welsh onions" are just "green onions."
          Shitake mushrooms are more than a bit expensive. I do
          not recommend them for nanbanryori. Since this particular
          stew involves a whole chicken, my guess is that it will
          feed at least eight people. While I wrote "shred" I really
          mean thin strips suitable for eating with chopsticks. The
          daikon should make this a fairy hearty dish. As for the
          mushrooms, just use flat ones with caps measuring from 5
          to 15 cm. These mushrooms actually grow in broad leaf
          forrests. The actual mushroom grows in the Spring and
          Summer months.

          | techie.com, msn.com |
        • Andrea Gideon
          Message 4 of 7 , May 24 3:04 AM