Re: [SCA-JML] Sleeve questions...

  • fsjlb4@uaf.edu
    Message 1 of 17 , May 23 11:03 AM
      On Wed, 23 May 2001, Kass McGann wrote:

      > Ii-dono, I don't know about this outfit in particular (I'm sure
      > Effingham will be right along), but I have to express my continuing
      > disgust with this website. People constantly show me pictures from
      > this site and on so many different levels, they are misinformed.
      > Some of their Heian stuff is MODERN clothing worn by the Empress at
      > her Coronation, etc.

      I was wondering about that. At the same time, it is hosted by MIT, which
      gave it some credibility. Sigh. It really is a shame when something like
      that happens.
    • Barbara Nostrand
      Message 2 of 17 , May 23 11:18 AM
        Baron Edward!

        Greetings from Solveig! I believe that the English may still
        wear sports coats will sporting. There is a British sit-com
        on PBS these days where these old geesers go out for walks
        and even hunting while wearing what are essentially sport
        coats. Sportswear as day wear is a development of several
        decades ago. This development really jelled around 1960.
        Prior to 1960, coats were color coded for various purposes,
        how you buttoned your suit was considered important, and men
        still generally wore hats. Wearing a string tie might brand
        you as a bit outre or at least a Texan. Sometime during the
        1960's male office workeres started wearing pastel shirts and
        even short sleaves to work. Today, executives of billion
        dollar corporations show up at corporate general meetings
        wearing mock turtle neck shirts and jeans. Even Brooks Brothers
        suits have changed a bit. If anyting they are now sleaker, less
        obviously functional, and more formal.

        | techie.com, msn.com |
      • Kass McGann
        Message 3 of 17 , May 23 11:47 AM
          I was wondering about that.  At the same time, it is hosted by MIT, which
          gave it some credibility.  Sigh.  It really is a shame when something like
          that happens.

          That only means that some students at MIT built it, perhaps as a class project on using the internet (it was build five years ago, after all, when Javascript was rare and Flash unheard of!).

          Think about the students you went to school with who didn't know the first thing about Japanese clothing!  =)

          Kass
        • Barbara Nostrand
          Message 4 of 17 , May 23 12:03 PM
            Re: [SCA-JML] Sleeve questions...
            Noble Cousins!

            Greetings from Solveig! Actually the site appears to be part of the
            Japanese Language and Culture Network. The various illustrations on
            the web pages in question are drawn from a particular kimono school.

                                            Amateur Schoalr
            --
            | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D.         | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM       |