[SCA-JML] Re: Unseemly behavior?

  • Barbara Nostrand
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 16, 2000
      Ogami Dono!

      Ahh. At least in modern Japan very few people of your likely age enjoy
      being addressed as -kun. In fact, I know at least one Japanese man who
      says that he hates -kun. You call baby boys -kun. Kin-chan used to call
      young folks regardless of gender -kun on his show Kindon. (I think that
      was the name of the show.) Further, you do not normally attach honourifics
      to your own name in either Japanese or correct Anglo-American culture.
      Physicians are actually quite rude in this regard. Post-nomina initials
      are correctly used after your own name (at least on calling cards), but
      these are not normally pronounced.