Fabric translation help

  • fsjlb4@aurora.uaf.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , May 10, 2001
      I keep coming up on the term 'karaori' in my attempt at giving more help
      for people using 'Jidai Ishou no Nuikata' and could only come up with
      'Chinese weave'. It seems to refer to the color-on-color woven patterns
      that are so prevalent in Japanese clothing. Is this the case, and if so,
      what is a good translation for this term? I can't find one in my
      dictionaries.

      -Ii
    • Kass McGann
      Message 2 of 3 , May 10, 2001
        I keep coming up on the term 'karaori' in my attempt at giving more help
        for people using 'Jidai Ishou no Nuikata' and could only come up with
        'Chinese weave'.  It seems to refer to the color-on-color woven patterns
        that are so prevalent in Japanese clothing.  Is this the case, and if so,
        what is a good translation for this term?  I can't find one in my
        dictionaries.

        I'd have to see an example of the cloth to be sure.  But I think I would also translate it "Chinese weave".  It's not quite brocade is it?  Perhaps "Chinese damask" (a colour-on-colour weave in the West)...

        Fujiwara no Aoi
      • Barbara Nostrand
        Message 3 of 3 , May 10, 2001
          Ii dono!

          Greetings from Solveig! Chinese weave sounds just fine to me.
          If you don't like that, just leave it in transliterated form.
          If you need to be more specific, use the name for the Chinese
          dynasty instead of a more generic China. This sort of thing
          is sometimes done.

          | techie.com, msn.com |